Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
I'm looking for a recommendation on a brand or even a model you think is better than the rest.
My use is semi-light and seasonal. And speaking of light - Light and powerful would be good. Also I'm 6ft tall if that weighs into the ergonomics.
Thanks for any suggestions.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #2  
For a weed whacker only,

One that allows you to use attachments could be handy if you wanted to add a pole saw later.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #3  
For a weed whacker only,

One that allows you to use attachments could be handy if you wanted to add a pole saw later.
Second that suggestion. I have that unit. It’s awesome.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #4  
...and it won't break your wallet either. I believe it comes with a steel scratcher blade as well.

230 bucks is about half what a comparable Stihl costs.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #5  
More expensive, but I am sold on Sthil trimmers. I use (2) different Kombi trimmers (interchangeable tool heads) and they are comfortable, and just work.
My newer Kombi is a KM131, which is plenty powerful. I put about 150 hours per year on it.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted
1. Where do you all stand on the straight or curved shaft question?
2. Is 21 cc big enough for the tall thick stuff along the fence lines? Would 25cc be better there?

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #8  
I bought a new Stihl a couple years ago, a FS94R. To my knowledge it is their own pro model with a traditional 2 stroke engine. The light weight sold me. My only gripe was right out of the box the carburetor was tuned way too lean. I richened the screws and all has been great since. I also have a Husqvarna 325L and a Shindaiwa M231 which have been great as well.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #9  
Not to derail this, but is there a reason you want gas? I switched to a Dewalt 20 volt and would never go back to a gas unit. It seems to be one of the most appropriate uses of battery power for lawn equipment.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #10  
More expensive, but I am sold on Sthil trimmers. I use (2) different Kombi trimmers (interchangeable tool heads) and they are comfortable, and just work.
My newer Kombi is a KM131, which is plenty powerful. I put about 150 hours per year on it.
I will say I also have a Stihl (expensive) straight shaft brush cutter and weed whacker as well. Mine is an FS 66, same one the USFS uses. It's made in Japan. When it finally expires, I'll be getting an Echo.