Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #11  
Not to derail this, but is there a reason you want gas? I switched to a Dewalt 20 volt and would never go back to a gas unit. It seems to be one of the most appropriate uses of battery power for lawn equipment.
Candidly, I wouldn't buy DeWalt anything. Batteries are expensive and I prefer a gas trimmer anyway. Doing my part to increase pollution... I have one DeWalt tool, a cordless drill and when the batteries expire, so will it, to the landfill.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #12  
Candidly, I wouldn't buy DeWalt anything. Batteries are expensive and I prefer a gas trimmer anyway. Doing my part to increase pollution... I have one DeWalt tool, a cordless drill and when the batteries expire, so will it, to the landfill.
Off topic, but OEM batteries are overpriced for any brand. You can usually get a good deal on a battery when you buy the equipment and then buy no-name batteries that seem to perform just as good as the OEM. I have two Dewalt batteries, two aftermarket and they all work fine.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #13  
1. Where do you all stand on the straight or curved shaft question?
Definitely 'straight'.

One personal recommendation is to go with a 'bicycle handled' model... there's far less vibration on your hands. Vibration, for me, led to extreme agony in my hands. The chest harness & 'bicycle handle' type (mine's a Stihl) has alleviated this.

Also, the battery powered models seem to be improving yearly.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #14  
A curved shaft trimmer uses a flex shaft similar to a sewer snake and they won't take a shock load very well. A straight shaft is just that, a one piece solid steel shaft that drives the bevel gearbox. Curved shaft trimmers are light duty. Straight shaft trimmers aren't.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #15  
I have an Echo PAS 2620 - absolutely love it. The Speed feed head is the best on the market. My Dad's 20 year old Echo GT200R is running great for its age.

Straight shaft is the only way to go.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #16  
Off topic, but OEM batteries are overpriced for any brand. You can usually get a good deal on a battery when you buy the equipment and then buy no-name batteries that seem to perform just as good as the OEM. I have two Dewalt batteries, two aftermarket and they all work fine.
I have to disagree, the HF Bauer Li-Ion packs aren't expensive compared to DeWalt or Milwaukee. Around 1/2 the cost of a comparable DeWalt pack and the used the same Li-Ion batteries inside.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #17  
My use is semi-light and seasonal. And speaking of light - Light and powerful would be good. Also I'm 6ft tall if that weighs into the ergonomics.
If your use is "semi-light and seasonal" you should definitely handle a good battery operated string trimmer before you go to gas.
I've 2 Stihl trimmers. one FS 55, one FS 250. They are great. But my needs had been for clearing brush for hours. That's pretty much gone now.
Now I do "occasional" trimming and edging with my DeWalt Flexvolt trimmer. It's got about the power or more of my FS 55 with all the advantages of battery operated.

I'm sure a high end Echo, Milwaukee, etc. trimmer would be just as good, but I'm deeply in the DeWalt 20v and Flexvolt line.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #18  
I have to disagree, the HF Bauer Li-Ion packs aren't expensive compared to DeWalt or Milwaukee. Around 1/2 the cost of a comparable DeWalt pack and the used the same Li-Ion batteries inside.
You claim to know Dewalt and HF's Bauer brands buy the same model cells from the same source?

There is a huge discrepancy in the durability of lithium-ion battery cells. Can't and won't claim Dewalt is buying the good stuff. And certainly will never say anything foolish like, "you get what you pay for." I'd just like to see evidence.

Much to my surprise after 6 years I am still using the same EGo 7.5Ah battery to mow my lawn.

And my 9+ year old Tesla still has 94% of it's original capacity. I'd really like to have a pile of Tesla 18650 cells to build power lawn tool batteries out of.

Back on topic: 15" EGo string trimmer is as powerful as my Husqvarna 124 (or 324?) gas. And about as heavy. Great for cutting trail or clearing fence rows. But around the home I have an old almost immediately discontinued Worx 40V which is much lighter yet gets the job done. It too is on the original battery, older than the Tesla.

Oh and the electrics tend to be straight shaft because the motor is on the cutting head.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #19  
Husqvarna straight shaft brush cutter / whipper with a three point tri-blade. It beats up everything, including 2" diameter trees, thistle etc. Probably have 1000 hrs on it since I bought it. (more hours than the tractor time). Love it, have gone through several blades, and I bought a newer model about 2 yrs ago. Great for bushwhacking trails and general cleanup. It has a string spool also, but I never use that. I never regretted spending the money ... $700 Cdn in 2005, a bit less now. My go to trimmer for 90 %.

Echo Trimmer with 3 plastic prongs for the light duty stuff where more finesse is needed ... house, driveway, stairs, pool, windows, concrete walks etc. Also has string option, but I chose the one with 2 pieces of 8 inch string, rather than the spool. ... about $250 Cdn a few years ago.

BOTH are gas powered, I think about 25 - 32 cc

Last edited:
   / Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #20  
Second that suggestion. I have that unit. It’s awesome.
I have the electric version. It is a beast and doesn't have the noise or engine issues of the gas model. 58v power.