Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #51  
OP specified gas, so I didn't go into battery at first, but since others have ....
No, he did not. He seems to have ignored electric posts but he did not specify gas. Re-read the first post.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #52  
Stihl FS94r and FS131 combi-tool here.

FS94r is light and very powerful straight shaft. You can run it all day and not get tired. Also commercial grade at mid price point. Your standard 2-cycle engine.

Fs131 I have pole trimmer, brush cutter, edger, string head, and hedge trimmer attachments. This is the go-to when you need the extra horsepower with the 4-mix engine. It sounds like a four-wheeler and it is almost as heavy!

Been looking into electric for the quick jobs or just needing to hit a few spots, but cant justify the price of batteries. (looking at M18 fuel) I can mix alot of Amsoil Saber 75:1 for a $250 battery

but... I am a Stihl fanboy. I have LOTS of Stihl equipment because I was tired of buying other trash homeowner brands. Buy once, cry once and get commercial, pro equipment even if you have a 1/2 an acre because it will save headaches down the road and will last twice as long.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #54  
No, he did not. He seems to have ignored electric posts but he did not specify gas. Re-read the first post.
Its right in the Title: "Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted"

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #55  
Been looking into electric for the quick jobs or just needing to hit a few spots, but cant justify the price of batteries. (looking at M18 fuel) I can mix alot of Amsoil Saber 75:1 for a $250 battery
I am still using a 10 year old battery in my primary string trimmer, and a 7 year old battery in my EGo 56v self-propelled lawn mower.

Yup, “batteries are expensive.”

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #56  
Yes, it was in the title, but I raised the issue of electric because he said it was for light occasional use and I wondered why he didn't consider batteries. Maybe the OP will get back and let us know. I know the battery cost is high (especially OEM batteries) but once you are in a system, you can buy bare tools and aftermarket batteries. I have the Dewalt 20v system and I have a drill, a polesaw, a string trimmer and an angle grinder. They are all more convenient than gas powered or corded tools. I will probably get a hedge trimmer shortly. The bare tools are not expensive.

It seems the Lithium batteries now being used are good for 10 years or so in normal homeowner use.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #57  
My wife likes her Black and Decker battery string trimmer so much that when the first one died we got a second one. And I kept her from taking the guard off since it had a sticker on it that said if you do it will overheat. Which is what killed the first one. When the second one dies we'll get a DeWalt because we have a bunch of batteries.

The battery unit is easy to use and works well for small stuff in the garden. No gas, no starting, just plop a battery in it and go to work. All you have to do is remember to charge the battery.

I think we have had one B&D battery pack die, and that was a cheap clone one. All our DeWalt batteries are still good.

We also have Stihl FS75 and FS250 gas trimmers. I mostly use the 250 because we have a lot of thick grass and small brush along fence lines and on slopes too steep for the tractor to mow. It works well but it's heavy and needs a full harness. Also it sprays the operator with a lot of residue.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #58  
Yes, it was in the title, but I raised the issue of electric because he said it was for light occasional use and I wondered why he didn't consider batteries. Maybe the OP will get back and let us know. I know the battery cost is high (especially OEM batteries) but once you are in a system, you can buy bare tools and aftermarket batteries. I have the Dewalt 20v system and I have a drill, a polesaw, a string trimmer and an angle grinder. They are all more convenient than gas powered or corded tools. I will probably get a hedge trimmer shortly. The bare tools are not expensive.

It seems the Lithium batteries now being used are good for 10 years or so in normal homeowner use.
No worries..

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #59  
I'm looking for a recommendation on a brand or even a model you think is better than the rest.
My use is semi-light and seasonal. And speaking of light - Light and powerful would be good. Also I'm 6ft tall if that weighs into the ergonomics.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Only use battery powered ones. The Ryobi 40v one with carbon fiber shaft is a good one. Can buy a chain saw and extension for it, too. Just as powerful as a gas powered one and a whole lot lighter.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted
Looks like there is a strong vote for electric. I have a bunch of Ryobi 18v tools and batteries. Electric power tools have their place. I'm not sure it is on the overgrown fence line once or twice a year. I'm not saying it couldn't be done... I'm saying I've always used a gas trimmer for that.