Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #61  
Sure battery is fine on most "lots" or around the house. Not MY thing when I'm tackling multi-flora rose or Lespedeza on few acres of step hillside or dam where I can't get machinery and have fight it back every year or so.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #62  
Looks like there is a strong vote for electric. I have a bunch of Ryobi 18v tools and batteries. Electric power tools have their place. I'm not sure it is on the overgrown fence line once or twice a year. I'm not saying it couldn't be done... I'm saying I've always used a gas trimmer for that.
The Echo battery unit can handle the overgrown fence line. I use a little heavier line and it will handle light brush with no problem. It has a two speed setting switch as well as variable speed based on trigger pull. On 'fast' it will compete with all but the large commercial units. I highly recommend seeing if you can borrow or rent one.

For me, the frustration of dealing with gas (ethanol) was the initial motivation. Once I tried it, wow. For reference, my wife bought a green works mower and string trimmer for a place we used to have. I do not recommend those. No where near the same power.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted
The Echo battery unit can handle the overgrown fence line. I use a little heavier line and it will handle light brush with no problem. It has a two speed setting switch as well as variable speed based on trigger pull. On 'fast' it will compete with all but the large commercial units. I highly recommend seeing if you can borrow or rent one.

For me, the frustration of dealing with gas (ethanol) was the initial motivation. Once I tried it, wow. For reference, my wife bought a green works mower and string trimmer for a place we used to have. I do not recommend those. No where near the same power.
Thanks.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #64  
Sure battery is fine on most "lots" or around the house. Not MY thing when I'm tackling multi-flora rose or Lespedeza on few acres of step hillside or dam where I can't get machinery and have fight it back every year or so.
That’s where a gas wheeled string trimmer shines. At least to the slope limits of a 4 cycle motor.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #65  
Not saying electric could fit the OP's needs. What I have found is yes electric has comparable power and torque that is not the question. However the stamina is not there to do hours on end jobs without having a fleet of batteries or hot charging them which will damage them rapidly in the summer heat.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #66  
^^^^
Yep, unless I want to split my trimming/clearing chores into days, I’m sticking with my gas powered trimmer.

I tried the battery powered variety and it just didn’t have the stamina to get the jobs done in the time I have available. But, perhaps when I retire and I’ve got more free time, perhaps I can revisit battery.

Mike

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #67  
If your use is "semi-light and seasonal" you should definitely handle a good battery operated string trimmer before you go to gas.
I've 2 Stihl trimmers. one FS 55, one FS 250. They are great. But my needs had been for clearing brush for hours. That's pretty much gone now.
Now I do "occasional" trimming and edging with my DeWalt Flexvolt trimmer. It's got about the power or more of my FS 55 with all the advantages of battery operated.

I'm sure a high end Echo, Milwaukee, etc. trimmer would be just as good, but I'm deeply in the DeWalt 20v and Flexvolt line.
That's why I won't buy Dewalt, they change the battery voltages, design every 5 or so years and they didn't retro fit.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #68  
The changing battery design merry-go-round was why we tried a makita mini battery saw. I already used them and you could find good aftermarket ones. Do like the saw.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #69  
That's why I won't buy Dewalt, they change the battery voltages, design every 5 or so years and they didn't retro fit.
Cordially disagree with that statement. I actually own a 18 volt DeWalt manufactured adapter to run 20voly li ion batteries in 18 volt nicad tools. Several generations later. I think adapters can be found either by the manufacturer or aftermarket to run different styles of batteries.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #70  
Only use battery powered ones. The Ryobi 40v one with carbon fiber shaft is a good one. Can buy a chain saw and extension for it, too. Just as powerful as a gas powered one and a whole lot lighter.
How does the cost and weight of the tool + battery compare to the equivalent gas one?
When I was pricing a Stihl commercial pole saw,the battery one cost ~50 more and weighed ~1-2 lbs more than the gas model.
A few comments about the price and they pointed me at the husky equivalent that was $110 less. I ony made the buy this week, so I can't compare the two I have used a rental Stihl in the past.