Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it?

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #1  

PVourlitis

Tractor
Ford LGT14H, Wanting Something Bigger
Hello Ford Tractor Experts,
A friend of mine is willing to give up a Ford tractor that has been sitting in his field for many years. It is about a 3 hour drive for me to retrieve it, and maybe a few more hours worth of chain saw work to "unearth" it. He sent me this photo not too long ago. It has the front end loader attachment. I do not know much about the tractor other than it ran when it was parked! As much as I love old American iron, is it worth the effort to dig this tractor out? My first order of business would be clearing the brush and making sure it turns over by hand. What are some things to look out for? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• messages_0 (28).jpeg
    messages_0 (28).jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 769
   / Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #2  
Count on replacing the tires, hydraulic cylinders, sheet metal, and probably electrical system. Other than that it's probably salvageable. The biggest expense here would be the tires probably. Everything else is just work and cheap.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #3  
Me? I wouldn't touch it.

You might be different.

Are you mechanically inclined? Can you paint? Are you in the mood to spend hundreds of hours working on it? Do you have the space it will take up? How about the money? You're gonna have to put beaucoup hundreds into it.

Are you willing to lose your shorts on it? You will.

If you just want a hobby, something to do, go for it. Just don't expect much in return.

But that's me. My outlook on these type of things is very jaded. I am very prejudiced against them. I've seen way too many resto-jobs where the guy put his heart and soul plus many thousands of dolars into an old car just to sell it for a gigantic loss at some point. Either because he was moving, ran out of room to store, left his OL or just never got it finished. Sometimes because he just got sick of it. Got tired of spending untold hours looking for parts and paying big money for them. His friends stopped coming over to help after they lost interest

I am of the mind that if you really want a dinosaur, let somebody else lose their shorts on one when you buy it from them.

But...... That's me.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #4  
Everything sitting like that "ran when parked".
I can't add anything username said which covered it all.
Me, I wouldn't want it for free...but that's me.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #5  
How much is your friend willing to pay you to come get this scrap iron? If he is willing to pay enough, then that might be interesting.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #6  
Do you want a tractor or a project? There appears to be little if anything a lopper won't clear away, I'm not sure you need a chainsaw very badly. You will need to figure at least a full day spent between driving and retrieving the tractor. Perhaps your time means nothing to you. If it ran when parked you should ask the owner WHY it was parked. It may have other issues. If you really want a tractor or love the older Fords you'd be money and time ahead to just purchase a used one in better shape closer to home. There's a Ferguson TE-20 locally I could have for little or nothing within a mile and I'm not sure it's worth putting the new tires on. Just the rears will cost me at least $500 for the pair and I can probably add $200 for the fronts, and that's just to get it rolling.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it?
Yes, this would be more a labor of love than a means to save money and practical effort. I have full confidence in my abilities to pull it out and do the work, but I can also find a running and driving one for about $2000 or less here in Michigan. So maybe that alone should tell me something! I have always liked the style and simplicity of these Fords.

It is probably worth a check over on the sheet metal, that would be the biggest turn down for me. If I had to replace all the sheet metal, that would be a lot of work.
I am more interested in getting it cleaned up and running, not necessarily a full restoration.

I did not think about the tire expense, if I have $500+ into tires then it may not be worth it. Thank you!

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #8  
Yes, this would be more a labor of love than a means to save money and practical effort. I have full confidence in my abilities to pull it out and do the work, but I can also find a running and driving one for about $2000 or less here in Michigan. So maybe that alone should tell me something! I have always liked the style and simplicity of these Fords.

It is probably worth a check over on the sheet metal, that would be the biggest turn down for me. If I had to replace all the sheet metal, that would be a lot of work.
I am more interested in getting it cleaned up and running, not necessarily a full restoration.

I did not think about the tire expense, if I have $500+ into tires then it may not be worth it. Thank you!
As an 8N owner......my advice is......RUN AWAY !!!!

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #9  
Always makes me wonder why the original owner took a "perfectly good, ran when parked" tractor out in a field and abandoned it. I always think they figured they were not going to put another nickel into the upkeep of a piece of scrap iron, and did not want the bother and expense of towing it to the scrap yard to get a few dollars for it. It was worth zero dollars to them when it was parked, and after 20 years it is worth more? Maybe to someone, but for sure not me.
Everything sitting like that "ran when parked".
I can't add anything username said which covered it all.
Me, I wouldn't want it for free...but that's me.

/ Ford 9N - Retrieve it or Leave it? #10  
If you were interested in having a Ford N, then you can usually buy a restored one for less than the cost of doing a restoration.

If you want a project to spend more time and money on than it is worth, this is a good one.

Bruce