Flux Core Amps vs thickness

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #21  
This is a myth...(it's prudent to bevel the edges regardless of the welder IMO, no need to preheat the metal unless it's really cold) welding 1/4" mild steel is a breeze with a quality 110V welder...it generally takes two passes but if you take your time you will get decent penetration...
FWIW...I have pretzeled a couple of different fabrications with 1/4" welded with a 110V Hobart welder where there was no sign of the welds failing etc...I have
You can post the sky is blue on TBN, and someone will tell you that's wrong.

Enjoy your 110 volt welder.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #22  
You can post the sky is blue on TBN, and someone will tell you that's wrong.

Enjoy your 110 volt welder.

Well...If someone has never been outside and lived inside their entire life inside and never looked out the window...they would have to take your word that the sky is blue...But people that have actually seen the sky know for a fact that it's blue...

enjoy your shrouded life...!

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #23  
A little bit you can learn from welders owners manual, why you keep popping your 15 amp breaker....
From Hobart Handler 140 manual...

And A little internet electrical conversion...

A little bit you can learn from welders owners manual, why you keep popping your 15 amp breaker....
From Hobart Handler 140 manual...

View attachment 752015

And A little internet electrical conversion...

View attachment 752016
That FC90 will trip a 20 amp breaker, ask me how I know.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #25  
This is why I installed a dedicated 30 Amp circuit for my HH 140...
You upped wiring for that, I assume? If yes, what's the point running a 30 amp? Might as well run a 50 and get you a 220v outlet.

But I'm just here to help the o/p who's posting about the FC90...so I assume he's just got a regular 120v outlet with 15 or 20 amp breaker.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #26  
You upped wiring for that, I assume? If yes, what's the point running a 30 amp? Might as well run a 50 and get you a 220v outlet.

But I'm just here to help the o/p who's posting about the FC90...so I assume he's just got a regular 120v outlet with 15 or 20 amp breaker.
Just so you know, I have two 240V 50 Amp outlets in garage, one for electric drier and one for what ever reason I need it for.... Years ago (12 to 14) I sold my 240V stick welder as I was no longer using it, about 7 years ago I needed to get back into welding and decided to try a 120V MIG, so far it seems to do about 98% of my needs the other 2% that is to big for my capabilities I farm out ... My only regret is that I did not buy the Hobart 21OMVP at the time but then I didn't know how much welding I would do.... Yes I uses 10 Gauge with for breaker (larger than code) to dedicated receptacle, maybe all of 3 feet and use a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord (Handler manual says I can go 56 feet with 12 gauge e-cord) and when it comes down to bottom end the pigtail on welder its self is only 14 gauge....

And yes it all meets code, did you know there is special section in Nation Electric Code (NEC) compliance instruction just for "welders"...

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #27  
Just so you know, I have two 240V 50 Amp outlets in garage, one for electric drier and one for what ever reason I need it for.... Years ago (12 to 14) I sold my 240V stick welder as I was no longer using it, about 7 years ago I needed to get back into welding and decided to try a 120V MIG, so far it seems to do about 98% of my needs the other 2% that is to big for my capabilities I farm out ... My only regret is that I did not buy the Hobart 21OMVP at the time but then I didn't know how much welding I would do.... Yes I uses 10 Gauge with for breaker (larger than code) to dedicated receptacle, maybe all of 3 feet and use a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord (Handler manual says I can go 56 feet with 12 gauge e-cord) and when it comes down to bottom end the pigtail on welder its self is only 14 gauge....

And yes it all meets code, did you know there is special section in Nation Electric Code (NEC) compliance instruction just for "welders"...
Gotcha. I now got a 240v in my shop when I need it, that's where I welded up the plow for the massey. This time around though, I decided to try doing the forks on 120v in my garage, was pleasantly surprised that my amico welder never tripped the breaker or even hit the top of it's duty cycle. Just the fan would turn on ever so often.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #28  
... a 110 v welder is a 90 amp welder, if its on a household circuit.
I recently bought an Amico MIG-130A dual-voltage flux welder just for its portability. (18 lbs). It welds great on a 240 volt outlet. The 110 volt capability is just for where I need to carry it to somewhere without a 240v outlet. it probably does 90 amps on 110v, despite the '130 amps' claimed 110v capability. These are only $149 on Amazon. But if you buy anything that cheap be sure to also buy the $30 4 year warranty listed there!
Not much happening in this Welding sub-forum so I'll toss in this update.

Last couple of days I've been practicing with this Amico MIG (flux) 130 dual voltage wire welder. I like it.

Everything I've welded over 15 years with my various welders has stayed welded. But I'm not as good as I would like to be at making a straight bead without stopping to get back on a straight line. I need practice to improve my hand/eye coordination.

After getting all dialed in - set to about 60% on both the current/wire speed and the voltage, and running beads on top of 1/8" plate, I tried switching the welder from the usual 240v outlet to a 110 outlet to see if it would weld as well.

It welded identical. Great, I thought.

But a moment later making a second 3" long bead - the 20 amp breaker tripped. And I'm only 6 ft from the breaker. That's not enough productive time to think this welder is useful on 110 volts for heavier material.

I was judging penetration looking at the puddle, and the cavity sometimes left at the end of the bead. I saw penetration half way through the 1/8" plate. So with 1/8" material, a properly beveled joint might weld up ok with 110 volts and current turned down to where the breaker lasts a while. Larger? Quarter inch? No. I don't think so.

YMMV etc.

JCoastie (OP) did you eventually buy a welder?

* Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #29  
About your 20 amp breaker trip..... My Hobart 140 running near top settings drawn about 24 amps.... Yes the 20 breaker rating in manual is a joke.... Installed a dedicated 30 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire and all is good.... Yes by national electric code it good.... Check manual on you Amico and see what actual KVA load is when full out....

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #30  
Never used flux core wires, always solid gas shielded wire. My issue with flux core is the spatter and if I want spatter, I can SMAW weld. Again, I much prefer TIG, but TIG is slow.