welder circuit

/ welder circuit #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I have two welders. Both small because of the lack of any appreciable service out to the garage. Both welders (one stick the other wire feed) are rated for 140 amps.
I have 10/2, 30 amp 220 circuitry there now.

The small, flux core wire feed I recently acquired has only a 115 plug (daughters pitched in for Christmas and did the best they could) but the 140 stick has a 50 amp terminal end.

CAN I BETTER THE MIG/FLUX TYPE WELDER THAT FITS THIS ELECTRICAL PROFILE THAN WHAT I CURRENTLY HAVE OR AM I STUCK AT 140 AMPS? Most welding done with 1/4" metal with occasional 3/8"-1/2" that the stick can handle. It was good enough to weld a 1" thick splitter wedge on w 1/8" 7018.

What is the limit to wire feed welder amperage output on a 30 amp breaker 220 circuit?

/ welder circuit #2  
I have two welders. Both small because of the lack of any appreciable service out to the garage. Both welders (one stick the other wire feed) are rated for 140 amps.
I have 10/2, 30 amp 220 circuitry there now.

The small, flux core wire feed I recently acquired has only a 115 plug (daughters pitched in for Christmas and did the best they could) but the 140 stick has a 50 amp terminal end.

CAN I BETTER THE MIG/FLUX TYPE WELDER THAT FITS THIS ELECTRICAL PROFILE THAN WHAT I CURRENTLY HAVE OR AM I STUCK AT 140 AMPS? Most welding done with 1/4" metal with occasional 3/8"-1/2" that the stick can handle. It was good enough to weld a 1" thick splitter wedge on w 1/8" 7018.

What is the limit to wire feed welder amperage output on a 30 amp breaker 220 circuit?

That's a bunch of information but it doesn't help answer your question " What is the limit to wire feed welder amperage output on a 30 amp breaker 220 circuit?" The limit is clearly printed on each welder. EXACTLY what make and model are you asking about?

/ welder circuit #3  
Really need a 50A 220V circuit to step up to much.

/ welder circuit
That's a bunch of information but it doesn't help answer your question " What is the limit to wire feed welder amperage output on a 30 amp breaker 220 circuit?" The limit is clearly printed on each welder. EXACTLY what make and model are you asking about?

Not sure Jaxs.
Right now I'm thinking that any welder is better with 220 than 115 whether it stick or wire feed.
Don't know enuf about the various machines.
I read on a review of the Lincoln 180 mig that it uses 20 amps but a 40 amp breaker is necessary with full amp usage. This was a review so who knows. I don't know what happens if I use this type of welder say at 150-160 amp limit.
Got me to thinking thus my question to the more informed.

/ welder circuit #6  
The modern 211 class machines use 30A service
A 10/30 is tailor made for them.

/ welder circuit #7  
A 10/30 is tailor made for them. The manuals are confusing at best.

/ welder circuit #8  
Ok,so what you want to know is how many welding amps can a 220v-30a breaker deliver? First off understand most if not all hobbiest,farmer,homeowener type 220v wire welders come with a 50 amp plug from the factory although some pull less than 15 amps. Since you want to push all the amps possible off the 30a breaker,I reccomend a Hobart Ironman. The latest version is Ironman 240 which has max output of 280 amps pulling 38amps 220v. The Ironman 230 pushing 250amp while pulling 32amps 220v can still be found in stores and used. Those numbers are balls to the wall max output. You can run either up to about 240 amps off your 30a 220v breaker. One day when you have 50amp service you will own a top notch machine without trading up. The rage right now is 120/240v machines that cost extra for multi-volt option. I say put all the cost toward welding capabulity instead of the 120v option that will see little to no use. Just buy the welder you would like to have and limit amps to around 240 until you have 50 amps available.

/ welder circuit
Ok,so what you want to know is how many welding amps can a 220v-30a breaker deliver? First off understand most if not all hobbiest,farmer,homeowener type 220v wire welders come with a 50 amp plug from the factory although some pull less than 15 amps. Since you want to push all the amps possible off the 30a breaker,I reccomend a Hobart Ironman. The latest version is Ironman 240 which has max output of 280 amps pulling 38amps 220v. The Ironman 230 pushing 250amp while pulling 32amps 220v can still be found in stores and used. Those numbers are balls to the wall max output. You can run either up to about 240 amps off your 30a 220v breaker. One day when you have 50amp service you will own a top notch machine without trading up. The rage right now is 120/240v machines that cost extra for multi-volt option. I say put all the cost toward welding capabulity instead of the 120v option that will see little to no use. Just buy the welder you would like to have and limit amps to around 240 until you have 50 amps available.

Solid answer Jaxs and is in the realms I was looking for.. Never thought I could run that big a welder. Thank you.

One other thing: It states its a 230v and in one of the reviews, it makes reference it is not for a typical homeowner but more for a shop because a regular homeowner type electrical system won't push 230v.
What's up with that?

Even the Hobart 190 states it's a 230v machine and that's meant for a hobbiest no? I thought 220/230/240 was kind of the same thing.

Last edited:
   / welder circuit
A 10/30 is tailor made for them. The manuals are confusing at best.

Sberry you talking like a 211 Miller here?