Fire extinguishers

/ Fire extinguishers #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Decided to up the ante a bit with my on board fire protection. Hay fires and baler fires are a REAL serious issue. Have water extinguishers on the balers. Now the tractors...
I prefer the 2.5G Badger-type stainless water extinguishers, but they are pretty expensive. Was looking around on Ebay last weekend and found a guy out of MA that reconditions, tests them and sells them at a more affordable cost. He also sells the mounts cheap. They arrived in 2 days. Mounted 2 on tractors already, have a few more to go. I keep the ABC type in the cabs, too for electrical/oil fires.
Anyone else have other mounting locations, or ideas? Heres the outside mount I did on 1 of the 3 today. I don’t know if I will keep the decal. A little large, but makes it easier for my guys to find in an emergency.

Attachments

• C3FB59B5-CF2B-49DD-8AE8-F904A4A8FE1D.jpeg
    C3FB59B5-CF2B-49DD-8AE8-F904A4A8FE1D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 199
  • DC2A9F22-08EB-4A18-9D20-58BCACFE0AFC.jpeg
    DC2A9F22-08EB-4A18-9D20-58BCACFE0AFC.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 182
   / Fire extinguishers #2  
Good stuff having the extinguisher... if it's possible I'd try and have some training in the use of them, perhaps via your local Fire Brigade/Dept. Instructions are all well and good but actual experience goes much further.

Is there some way that you can cover the top 3/4 of the extinguisher, perhaps a clear plastic bag, IOT keep debris/mud from the front tyre clogging the 'workings' of the unit?

/ Fire extinguishers #3  
Decided to up the ante a bit with my on board fire protection. Hay fires and baler fires are a REAL serious issue. Have water extinguishers on the balers. Now the tractors...
I prefer the 2.5G Badger-type stainless water extinguishers, but they are pretty expensive. Was looking around on Ebay last weekend and found a guy out of MA that reconditions, tests them and sells them at a more affordable cost. He also sells the mounts cheap. They arrived in 2 days. Mounted 2 on tractors already, have a few more to go. I keep the ABC type in the cabs, too for electrical/oil fires.
Anyone else have other mounting locations, or ideas? Heres the outside mount I did on 1 of the 3 today. I don’t know if I will keep the decal. A little large, but makes it easier for my guys to find in an emergency.

Very nice looking installation!
Tag shows 2017 service date.
Is that acceptable?

/ Fire extinguishers
Good stuff having the extinguisher... if it's possible I'd try and have some training in the use of them, perhaps via your local Fire Brigade/Dept. Instructions are all well and good but actual experience goes much further.

Is there some way that you can cover the top 3/4 of the extinguisher, perhaps a clear plastic bag, IOT keep debris/mud from the front tyre clogging the 'workings' of the unit?

I have emptied more than a few. Had a brush fire I drove up on and helped him put it out. Also had a mouse nest fire in an engine compartment a few years back.
I also keep them on my hay balers.
Most all the tire mud flings outside the FE.

Attachments

• AB2C1C9E-E357-4DCA-8A9B-F25F0FE7CC66.jpeg
    AB2C1C9E-E357-4DCA-8A9B-F25F0FE7CC66.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 150
  • 7BBFA74A-6232-4F13-8669-DD22A21A3A99.jpeg
    7BBFA74A-6232-4F13-8669-DD22A21A3A99.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
   / Fire extinguishers
Very nice looking installation!
Tag shows 2017 service date.
Is that acceptable?

Thanks. I think that’s an old sticker. They are fully reconditioned. Havent charged that one yet, its empty.

/ Fire extinguishers #6  
What do you do to prevent freezing?

/ Fire extinguishers #7  
Add some dish soap to the water to reduce the surface tension of the water and it will be more effective on hay fires.

/ Fire extinguishers
What do you do to prevent freezing?

I take them off during coldest parts of winter.
I left one on a piece of equipment years ago all winter. Forgot about it. Nothing happened to it!

/ Fire extinguishers
Add some dish soap to the water to reduce the surface tension of the water and it will be more effective on hay fires.

Yes I do that with each discharge. Foam works great on fires.

/ Fire extinguishers #10  
Thanks. I think that’s an old sticker. They are fully reconditioned. Havent charged that one yet, its empty.
I had one I recharged with air compressor, rubber tipped nozzle put in end then pressed lever to fill watching gauge.