excavator pricing

/ excavator pricing #21  
I had a KX121 that I just sold last month for 24,500 including a 36" Rutt brush mower. I bought is used about 5 years ago with something like 7K hours on it, I put maybe 200 more on it since i had it. It ran really well and the swing was a little loose but fine for what I used it for. Sold it to a friend of mine who I'm sure will get several more good years from it before it moves on to its 4th owner.

/ excavator pricing #22  
Man it’s insane how expensive some of these things are. Would like to get one but holy cow. All the used stuff I keep seeing has high hours and they’re still asking close to new pricing for eight year old stuff. I’m wondering if these prices will come down or go up. What curious to hear others opinions.
I'm also on the hunt. I believe they'll be great deals out there once housing collapses, job loses increase, and the economy softens. There's tons of them leased and owned by small companies that will be devastated by what is expected to happen. Most of the machines taken back will have to be discounted just to get them off the balance sheets. We're starting to see this in the used car market. Be patient... I know it's hard.

/ excavator pricing #23  
I'm also on the hunt. I believe they'll be great deals out there once housing collapses, job loses increase, and the economy softens. There's tons of them leased and owned by small companies that will be devastated by what is expected to happen. Most of the machines taken back will have to be discounted just to get them off the balance sheets. We're starting to see this in the used car market. Be patient... I know it's hard.
I suspect it may well be quite locally dependent. Some areas of our respective countries will indeed have a housing collapse, job losses, and tons of small landscaping and construction companies twiddling their thumbs. But where the economy continues ticking (energy? natural resources? agriculture? who knows, right now just speculation) and there's a months- if not >1 year backlog of land work waiting to get done, there may be less of a crash.

So what happens if there's 15 bankrupt guys looking to sell off minis and skidsteers an 8 hour drive away, and 5 guys desperately looking to buy in your immediate vicinity? Will you drive there and back to look? Buy sight unseen? Wait for dealers to equalize the mismatch and take a cut?

/ excavator pricing #24  
I suspect it may well be quite locally dependent. Some areas of our respective countries will indeed have a housing collapse, job losses, and tons of small landscaping and construction companies twiddling their thumbs. But where the economy continues ticking (energy? natural resources? agriculture? who knows, right now just speculation) and there's a months- if not >1 year backlog of land work waiting to get done, there may be less of a crash.

So what happens if there's 15 bankrupt guys looking to sell off minis and skidsteers an 8 hour drive away, and 5 guys desperately looking to buy in your immediate vicinity? Will you drive there and back to look? Buy sight unseen? Wait for dealers to equalize the mismatch and take a cut?
I believe we're in for a deeper world wide recession than most people believe. If I'm wrong , I'm wrong, but if I'm right I should be able to pick up a good bargain.

/ excavator pricing #25  
I believe we're in for a deeper world wide recession than most people believe. If I'm wrong , I'm wrong, but if I'm right I should be able to pick up a good bargain.
I got tired of waiting and am committed on my new miniex purchase, but I'll join in on the bargains with a dump trailer (even dump truck), bigger woodchipper, and portable sawmill if you're right... :)

/ excavator pricing #26  
Agree, The smartest people i know..and they are extremely wealthy..Saw this coming last year and actually said the chit was going to hit the fan late september...They are now predicting that things won't get any better till 2026. ..2 years into a new POTUS first term. They are not predicting mass foreclosures like last time but the auto sector is going to take a big hit..Repos are going to explode and this will drive down the used car market. Car mfrs will again have the 0% offers to help bring in new car buyers when bank money auto loans will be nearer to 7%.. We have 4 years to grind out,,buckle up

/ excavator pricing #27  
Well I’d kinda like to upgrade my farm tractor but i am going to wait and see how bad stuff gets next spring and pricing. I luckily already got a great deal upgrading my mini x.

I’m just not seeing a 2008 style crash, meaning housing crash. There will be a slow down and a minor price adjustment but the explosion of population make housing a necessity and focus. I think it will be mostly stock market slide. Its a weird one. We’ve never experienced an over stimulated economy and shuttered the workforce at the same time for no reason. Now if the feds dump debt quickly…. Oh boy.

Last edited:
   / excavator pricing #28  
As to hourly costs; I get $145. per hour for brush cutting, trenching, stump removel, gravel spreading, rebuilding driveways, roads etc..I have plenty of work, do not advertise, all word of mouth.
When asked to bid, I tell them my price will be based on my hourly rate plus 25%. I never charge travel within 5 miles but have a minimum of 5hrs charge for small jobs accept for repeat customers who are decent and forthright,then I charge 4hr min; most folks can't pay me fast enough because, I am not out to gouge them. Those who overcharge set home lots, I do know a few..They work a reg job, buy a machine, have big payments then expect one job to make the monthly payment so they can work when they want, it don't work that way I tell them.

/ excavator pricing #29  
As to hourly costs; I get $145. per hour for brush cutting, trenching, stump removel, gravel spreading, rebuilding driveways, roads etc..I have plenty of work, do not advertise, all word of mouth.
When asked to bid, I tell them my price will be based on my hourly rate plus 25%. I never charge travel within 5 miles but have a minimum of 5hrs charge for small jobs accept for repeat customers who are decent and forthright,then I charge 4hr min; most folks can't pay me fast enough because, I am not out to gouge them. Those who overcharge set home lots, I do know a few..They work a reg job, buy a machine, have big payments then expect one job to make the monthly payment so they can work when they want, it don't work that way I tell them.
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. It was interesting reading everyone's predictions of the future.

/ excavator pricing #30  
Literally, that last 5 years with mini-excavators have been like compact tractors over the last two decades. Seems EVERY is buying one and trying to put it to work (not homeowner stuff).

Cant help but think the generous housing market over the last decade have spoiled too many people and that when the market slows down....these guys making $1000/month payments with now work are gonna be struggling.

I am a member of a few FB groups talking about mini-ex work and what not. I am really surprised by the number of people that have smaller 2.7-3.5 class machines and constantly brag that their day rate is $2500 and they dont move equipment for less than that period.

By my math thats ~$300/hr for a freaking mini.

OR when people ask about trenching....one guy questioned how much to do 150' waterline to a barn at 3' deep, and he said he bid it at $1500 figuring half a day. So may people told him he was nuts at that $3500-$4000 is what they would charge:eek:

I dont know where these customers are.....but in my area....$100-$125/hr is the going rate for running a mini. Heck, guys running 15 ton machines digging basements and ponds are only in the $150-$200/hr range
I suspect there are just a lot of keyboard kowboys and bloviating business men throwing those numbers around.

Facebook is full of posers.