excavator pricing

/ excavator pricing #1  

tman1020

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct225 and Bad Boy zero turn
Man it’s insane how expensive some of these things are. Would like to get one but holy cow. All the used stuff I keep seeing has high hours and they’re still asking close to new pricing for eight year old stuff. I’m wondering if these prices will come down or go up. What curious to hear others opinions.

/ excavator pricing #3  
I predict they’ll decrease a little bit, but nothing super drastic like buying a 50k excavator for 20k.

/ excavator pricing #4  
They might become a bit cheaper....but nothing crazy. Could probably take one of someones hands for whatever they owe the bank as their work slows down.

/ excavator pricing
Yeah those comments above are what I was kind of thinking as well. It’s kind of crazy though none of the dealers have any excavators on the lot hardly. Got lucky and found one dealer with one excavator that just came in. I priced it out, a bobcat E 20 which is just over a 2 ton excavator after-tax with two buckets and financing fees built in it was around $36,000. I keep finding guys asking around 25,000 for eight year old machines with close to 2000 hours.
For 25 to 36,000 i’ve got a lot of options. 15 to 20k. not so much. I’m just not ready to commit to $36,000.

/ excavator pricing #6  
I'll bet $35k would get you a used KX121 which is 4 ton and an excellent machine.

/ excavator pricing #7  
I'll bet $35k would get you a used KX121 which is 4 ton and an excellent machine.

That’s what I paid for my KX-040 with a cab which that was late 2020 before things really went stupid.

/ excavator pricing #8  
If you don't need to trailer it everywhere, you might get a better deal on a full size excavator with lots of hours that still runs good.

/ excavator pricing #9  
If you don't need to trailer it everywhere, you might get a better deal on a full size excavator with lots of hours that still runs good.

I have a full size that I bought for digging stumps which it does well. I also have a mini. For average homeowner stuff the mini is vastly better.
IMG_1753.JPG

/ excavator pricing #10  
Literally, that last 5 years with mini-excavators have been like compact tractors over the last two decades. Seems EVERY is buying one and trying to put it to work (not homeowner stuff).

Cant help but think the generous housing market over the last decade have spoiled too many people and that when the market slows down....these guys making $1000/month payments with now work are gonna be struggling.

I am a member of a few FB groups talking about mini-ex work and what not. I am really surprised by the number of people that have smaller 2.7-3.5 class machines and constantly brag that their day rate is $2500 and they dont move equipment for less than that period.

By my math thats ~$300/hr for a freaking mini.

OR when people ask about trenching....one guy questioned how much to do 150' waterline to a barn at 3' deep, and he said he bid it at $1500 figuring half a day. So may people told him he was nuts at that $3500-$4000 is what they would charge:eek:

I dont know where these customers are.....but in my area....$100-$125/hr is the going rate for running a mini. Heck, guys running 15 ton machines digging basements and ponds are only in the $150-$200/hr range