DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc...

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #71  
Any engine branded as Maxxforce has earned the reputation as being the most hated and universally least desirable engine family in recent memory.
Yeah the MAXXFARCE engines finally put the nail in the coffin for IH engines. The DT series were overall pretty good engines, but IH couldnt make em work with emissions equipment. The venerable DT466 is spinning in its grave right now Over how it was ruined. I really thought IH was headed to bankruptcy. I always was a big IH fan. Loved their technology back in the 70’s and 80’s. So many “firsts” it seemed like.

IH wised-up and went to Cummins. The L-9 is a huge improvement in their vocational trucks. Much more reliable and more powerful.

Now they have a lot of catching up to do. Lots of their customers went to Freightliner/Cummins/MB

IH almost took Ford down the drain with the 6 & 6.4L debacles.

Last edited:
   / DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #72  
The underlying premise here is, I only want perfect and if anything deviates from my superficial reasoning, then it's junk. I'm sorry, but life does not throw perfect things at you everyday to prevent you from having a stress free life.
The engine is what it is. You adapt to it. If over changing the oil is the path to making it survive and run good...you would be a fool not to do it. You would also be a fool not to listen to people that have knowledge of the situation to alleviate a problem and just resort to the old fall back of...it not perfect so it's junk. See haydude for a professional take on how to routinely do it with out flinching.

Dare we ask what perfect vehicle you drive is? I bet it's just like that guy that missed the lottery but has a perfect inline god that has defied all statistical laws.

“Inline God” :ROFLMAO:

Show me all the V-8s in todays medium and heavy trucks. I bet theres hundreds of different models???? :ROFLMAO:

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #73  
“Inline God” :ROFLMAO:

Show me all the V-8s in todays medium and heavy trucks. I bet theres hundreds of different models???? :ROFLMAO:

Hundreds of different models? There was a few V-8 Detroits from decades ago non of which were very good, the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 served an a few medium duty trucks they also weren’t very good. The 3408 Cat motor is the only one I know of that served in class 8 trucks and made decent power.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #74  
The Mack E9 V8 was a hoss, but it was another love/hate deal too. 400-525 hp in trucks, more in marine and military configs.

Last edited:
   / DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #75  
Hundreds of different models? There was a few V-8 Detroits from decades ago non of which were very good, the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 served an a few medium duty trucks they also weren’t very good. The 3408 Cat motor is the only one I know of that served in class 8 trucks and made decent power.
OMG it was a JOKE….hence the laughing emoji….

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #76  
Good video that explains the issues with DPFs, EGRs, DEF, and other emissions equipment...makes me glad I got the 25hp Kioti CK2610.

Yep, glad I got the Mahindra 1626 for same reason. Kioti 2610 was second ci

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #77  
Cummins had the Triple Nickle and the 903 V8's also since we are talking v-8 diesel they were ok. Not a lot out there. Remember the Detroit fuel pincher 8.2?(think it was 8.2) There answer to the 4 stroke automotive diesel. The two stroke 92,71 series Detroit sure were screamers they came in v configurations. How they would use the same inline 6 cylinder head to make a 12v 71 or put two 8 cylinder blocks together to make the 16 71. Talk about not meeting emissions. Those older engines where cool. Now to increase horsepower they send some kid out there with a computer to tune the engine. Those were the days.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #78  
I think all of us who are doomed to own those systems wish they were more thoroughly engineered for longevity.
The longevity ship sailed decades ago.

Consumers want new and they want cheap. The new generation is focused on always being on the upgrade train. Software, cellphones, appliances, fashion,....

Your vehicle is an appliance.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #79  
Cummins had the Triple Nickle and the 903 V8's also since we are talking v-8 diesel they were ok. Not a lot out there. Remember the Detroit fuel pincher 8.2?(think it was 8.2) There answer to the 4 stroke automotive diesel. The two stroke 92,71 series Detroit sure were screamers they came in v configurations. How they would use the same inline 6 cylinder head to make a 12v 71 or put two 8 cylinder blocks together to make the 16 71. Talk about not meeting emissions. Those older engines where cool. Now to increase horsepower they send some kid out there with a computer to tune the engine. Those were the days.

The V-8 was tried in OTR trucks and has been retired for quite some time. Lower fuel economy, more moving parts and packaging under the hood are some of the reasons. In lines make more torque for their displacement and fuel they consume than V-8s in bigger trucks.
In line sixes and some fours probably make up the configuration in 99.5% of trucks bigger than a 5500 today.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #80  
I’ve always liked a Ford cab but a Chevy has always been more friendly to work on, been more reliable and rides better IMO. Currently I’m driving a V12 250 and a 750 with a Cummins though. I still have my 92 3500 ton. It’s been a dang good truck but it’s low on power. I’d like to have a newer ton but I’m not paying what they cost when a medium duty is so much stronger and cost less.
I didn’t know you could get a V12 in an F-250.