DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc...

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #61  
Me too. I sure do wish those emission systems were engineered better. But something had to be done. Anyone over a certain age (50ish?) can remember when huge stretches of the US were covered by a sort of gray/orange cloud of exhaust of all kinds. Cities were so shrouded in smog that you had to decide if you really wanted to drive into it.

The air is hugely better everywhere now. It's been a painful journey but it had to be done. Hats off to us for putting up with all the hassles it took to get where we are now.

Our solution may not be the best, but at least it is moving in the right direction. Everyone benefits, even the ignorant ones who just don't understand and don't care. Luckily most folks are smarter than that.

Maybe next time instead of wasting all our energy fighting about whether to fix a problem, we can put that energy to work figuring out a better way to do it.
rScotty

I wonder what all the stuff we used to make here now shipped 6000 miles from China on huge diesel ships does to the worlds air quality?

Would it be more ethical to “own our own pollution” and make things here, cleanly, under our stringent EPA standards?

Or make everything in China, where pollution is rampant, then diesel it over here in hugely polluting ships? Then Chinese people are stuck with polluted water & air and sickness and the air over oceans get polluted with diesel exhaust.

Are we off-shoring labor and off shoring pollution? Making it someone else’s problem?

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #62  
I wonder what all the stuff we used to make here now shipped 6000 miles from China on huge diesel ships does to the worlds air quality?

Would it be more ethical to “own our own pollution” and make things here, cleanly, under our stringent EPA standards?

Or make everything in China, where pollution is rampant, then diesel it over here in hugely polluting ships? Then Chinese people are stuck with polluted water & air and sickness and the air over oceans get polluted with diesel exhaust.

Are we off-shoring labor and off shoring pollution? Making it someone else’s problem?

I think the answer is, "you do what you can, and hope to set an example." The USA was one of the first places to industrialize and that made it one of the first to have that much smog in the air. So not surprising we are also first to clean it up.

I think other countries will have the same problem with smog and pollution of all kinds as they industrialize, and will find their own solutions. If enough do, then we can get past this problem.

IMHO, shipping our labor and manufacturing offshore is a separate issue and was a national mistake. We did it, and so did the rest of the developed world. IMHO, off-shoring just might be the biggest mistake the developed world has ever done. In the long run it doesn't really help us or the other countries, it only benefits the corporations involved. And then the corporations become the problem.

rScotty

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #63  
My solution is similar to yours.
Own our problems and solve them at home. Stop shipping everything offshore and help your own people and country FIRST. That’s not “nationalism” or “isolationism”. It’s just the right thing to do.

All our industry is gone. That’s old news. So then they all said we would become a “service based economy”.
Ummmm, no we are not.
Don’t believe me? Call customer service and see if you can even understand the accent of the person you are talking to from India, Pakistan or who knows where else!

We even off shored our service!! Lol

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #64  
Butbutbutbutbut all you gotta do is change that diluted oil 2-3 times more often than the manufacturer calls for.

The underlying premise here is, I only want perfect and if anything deviates from my superficial reasoning, then it's junk. I'm sorry, but life does not throw perfect things at you everyday to prevent you from having a stress free life.
The engine is what it is. You adapt to it. If over changing the oil is the path to making it survive and run good...you would be a fool not to do it. You would also be a fool not to listen to people that have knowledge of the situation to alleviate a problem and just resort to the old fall back of...it not perfect so it's junk. See haydude for a professional take on how to routinely do it with out flinching.

Dare we ask what perfect vehicle you drive is? I bet it's just like that guy that missed the lottery but has a perfect inline god that has defied all statistical laws.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #65  
The underlying premise here is, I only want perfect and if anything deviates from my superficial reasoning, then it's junk. I'm sorry, but life does not throw perfect things at you everyday to prevent you from having a stress free life.
The engine is what it is. You adapt to it. If over changing the oil is the path to making it survive and run good...you would be a fool not to do it. You would also be a fool not to listen to people that have knowledge of the situation to alleviate a problem and just resort to the old fall back of...it not perfect so it's junk. See haydude for a professional take on how to routinely do it with out flinching.

Dare we ask what perfect vehicle you drive is? I bet it's just like that guy that missed the lottery but has a perfect inline god that has defied all statistical laws.

Wouldn’t just buying something besides a 6.4 be considered adapting? Some products are junk and there’s no need to claim otherwise. My old and tired 6.5 was having overheating problems trying to pull my equipment. I could’ve made mods to increase the cooling or I could just hook on my other truck that doesn’t have that problem which is what I do.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #66  

The perfect vehicle doesn't exist. If you think the 6.4L is the perfect engine then what I drive is immaterial.

Last edited:
   / DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #67  
My solution is similar to yours.
Own our problems and solve them at home. Stop shipping everything offshore and help your own people and country FIRST. That’s not “nationalism” or “isolationism”. It’s just the right thing to do.

All our industry is gone. That’s old news. So then they all said we would become a “service based economy”.
Ummmm, no we are not.
Don’t believe me? Call customer service and see if you can even understand the accent of the person you are talking to from India, Pakistan or who knows where else!

We even off shored our service!! Lol
Agreed, mostly
I think one of the issues was that we became addicted to buying more stuff and cheaper throwaway goods
We and the planet would be better served by buying better performing, longer lived goods and in turn would need to buy less stuff overall and the goods could support higher price points and domestic production due to superior performance and lifespan.

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #68  

Yes, but the demise of corporate pensions resulted in a need for double digit yields in the stock market for 401k investments. Corporate boards are offshoring production to “maximize shareholder value.”

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #69  
Yeah, my Ford 6.4’s DPFs refined themselves into being pretty worthless by the time I cold find someone brave enough to buy them. My Ram dealer took one off my hands as a trade-in.
Im all for clean air, but come on, make it something reliable.
Last 6.4 was produced, what, eleven years ago, by a company whose CEO refused to embrace DEF. That CEO is now unemployed because of that decision.who is now unemployed

/ DPFs, EGRs, DEF, etc... #70  
Any engine branded as Maxxforce has earned the reputation as being the most hated and universally least desirable engine family in recent memory.