Covered Deck Gable Overhang

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang #1  

UOFan

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3025E
Hi all, I’m build a covered deck and can’t decide if I want to put a 6” overhang on the gable ends.

I have a 12” overhang on the eave. If I decided to add 6” on either side with a ladder extension, it would cost me an extra sheet of metal, since the deck is 24’ wide and each sheet is 3’.

Curious to heard your guys’ opinions, see pictures bellow:

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

IMG_2196.jpeg

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang #2  
An overhang on the gable end might keep some rain off the post. Maybe not? Jon

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang #3  
An extra sheet of metal isn't that significant relative to the whole thing. Regardless of what you decide, I would use end caps on it to anchor the metal roof ends against wind lift.

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang
An overhang on the gable end might keep some rain off the post. Maybe not? Jon
Yeah, that was what I was thinking. The problem is, the more I think of it, that I should have extended the header out 8” past the posts. I remember doing gable ladders on my barn (got a lot of good advice for that build here) and they sag slightly.

I build the ladders last night to test fit and they are HEAVY. Treated 2x6 material. I don’t have blocking in between the rafters so effectively it’s the outermost rafter responsible for holding the gable ladders. Another lesson learned in planning out my projects fully before execution….oh well!

An extra sheet of metal isn't that significant relative to the whole thing. Regardless of what you decide, I would use end caps on it to anchor the metal roof ends against wind lift.
I agree. I’ll be getting residential rake trim for the sides, and wave drip edge for the front. Is that what you are talking about or is there a different end cap I should be looking at?

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang #5  
Hi all, I’m build a covered deck and can’t decide if I want to put a 6” overhang on the gable ends.

I have a 12” overhang on the eave. If I decided to add 6” on either side with a ladder extension, it would cost me an extra sheet of metal, since the deck is 24’ wide and each sheet is 3’.

Curious to heard your guys’ opinions, see pictures bellow:
Definitely do the gable over hang. Since, as you point out, you've got to get another sheet of roof anyway, I'd go to a 12" overhang to match the eave.

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang #6  
Yeah, that was what I was thinking. The problem is, the more I think of it, that I should have extended the header out 8” past the posts. I remember doing gable ladders on my barn (got a lot of good advice for that build here) and they sag slightly.
You shouldn't need to build "ladders". The eave facia board that's being supported by all the other rafters will hold up the overhang rafter. That is if you were planning to do facia. If not, it would be worth considering, just to support the overhang.

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang #7  
Are you sheeting this roof or doing purlins?

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang #8  
Dumb comments follow.

I did a similar lean-to off my garage gable wall. The upper header is 28ft long and is fastened to the bottom cord of the gable truss, supported by the gable wall. The lower eave headers are 2 LVLs (also 28ft long) supported by 3 posts, on 12ft centers, about 25ft outside width. I used the outside rafter as my rake(?) fascia trim board. I covered that with bent up white metal. I also capped the ends of the LVL's with white metal.

Not the dumb comment. Can you move your outer posts into the next rafter and use the outer rafter as your trim board? Might need to but another post, set it, remove outer post and use it at opposite end. Jon

Attachments

• 20231120_134119.jpg
    20231120_134119.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
   / Covered Deck Gable Overhang #9  
I agree. I’ll be getting residential rake trim for the sides, and wave drip edge for the front. Is that what you are talking about or is there a different end cap I should be looking at?
The rake trim for the sides that helps keep the wind from blowing the panels off looks like this: Gable Trim | Buy Metal Roofing Direct

/ Covered Deck Gable Overhang
Definitely do the gable over hang. Since, as you point out, you've got to get another sheet of roof anyway, I'd go to a 12" overhang to match the eave.

You shouldn't need to build "ladders". The eave facia board that's being supported by all the other rafters will hold up the overhang rafter. That is if you were planning to do facia. If not, it would be worth considering, just to support the overhang.

Are you sheeting this roof or doing purlins?

I’m doing purlins with 5/4 decking boards. I am doing fascia, but it’s a flimsy 1x6. Please see the drawing below and let me know what you think.

Dumb comments follow.

I did a similar lean-to off my garage gable wall. The upper header is 28ft long and is fastened to the bottom cord of the gable truss, supported by the gable wall. The lower eave headers are 2 LVLs (also 28ft long) supported by 3 posts, on 12ft centers, about 25ft outside width. I used the outside rafter as my rake(?) fascia trim board. I covered that with bent up white metal. I also capped the ends of the LVL's with white metal.

Not the dumb comment. Can you move your outer posts into the next rafter and use the outer rafter as your trim board? Might need to but another post, set it, remove outer post and use it at opposite end. Jon
I wish I planned for that, next time….moving the posts is not an option unfortunately
The rake trim for the sides that helps keep the wind from blowing the panels off looks like this: Gable Trim | Buy Metal Roofing Direct
Got that, just picked up all the metal today.

Would this work, or is there a better way without the ladders:

Toenail some 8” knee braces of 2x6 to the outermost rafter (black), put a 2x6 or 1x6 along the new roof edge (red), then tie it all in with fascia (green)? Not pictured, but I will extend the purlins to the addition. Thanks for all the help guys. See picture below:

IMG_2197.jpeg