Chains for Goodyear Soft Trac Tires

/ Chains for Goodyear Soft Trac Tires #1  

MajMac392

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7234, John Deere X300 Riding Lawn Mower
I'm read most of the posts about chains but I didn't see any that talked about putting them on Goodyear Soft Trac tires. I'm considering putting them on my Cub Cadet 7234, 23 HP diesel with 27" x 10.5" x 15" tires on the front. Has anyone had any experience putting chains on turf tires? Is there a place that you go to for good price for quality chains? I found one site that had chains made in the USA and they were about $100 more per set than probably ones coming out of China. I have a fairly long driveway, mostly up an incline and was thinking they might help my plowing. Thanks

/ Chains for Goodyear Soft Trac Tires #2  
   / Chains for Goodyear Soft Trac Tires
Thanks, I'll check them out!

Well folks I think I have a pair of chains I'm going to try. This was a pair I got from a friends widow after he passed away. I just remembered them :unsure: and I've only used them to pick up and move rocks, the chains act kind of like a net. Anyway they seem to be a good fit even though I've never put chains on large tires. They are about 80" long and 13" wide. There is virtually no slack and I really had to hold my tongue just right to connect both sides. ;) They are probably 30-40 years old and were made in the USA by the box!

Attachments

• IMG_8837.jpg
    IMG_8837.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8838.jpg
    IMG_8838.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 72
   / Chains for Goodyear Soft Trac Tires #5  
Just a quick suggestion before chains, If your tires are at max inflation and the tread is high domed they will not grip great. Let the pressure out until the tire tread sits flatter on the ground. Makes a pile of difference, if that or ballast does not work add the chains.

Thanks for the tip. My front turf tires "crown" up a little in the center but not to bad. The 41" Soft Trac rear tires dome up quite a bit, but not chains there for the moment. As much as I don't want to see the snow I'm looking forward to see how much difference they will make plowing my driveway.

/ Chains for Goodyear Soft Trac Tires #7  
If your tires are crowning up high when you get a bit of snow or even mud drive across it without spinning.
Then go back and look at your tracks, if you have a nice level and uniform track in the snow or mud your inflation is good.
If it is loading the center more then the edges your tire pressure is too high,
if the outside edges are lower then the center then your pressures are too low.
Your tread marks should be level and uniform.