Bucket pin fitting issue

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #21  
I could have line bored it, but that would be more expense. Like I said, Please tell me Mr. Expert, I want to know.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #22  
Not my concern and I seriously doubt the owner will switch buckets anyway. So tell me, how would you have done it in an expeditious manner at minimal cost? I'm real curious. I don't believe you know but please tell me if you do.

Most people that buy add on backhoe's ever exchange buckets. And if he did, all he had to do was purchase another pin.
I would have told them I wasnt willing to fix it the way you did. It's obvious you don't care about the owner you don't need to tell us that. Lol.

Without seeing the bucket I guess I would have cut the ears off and welded on a new set.

I have 4 buckets for my excavator, two if which I made myself and switch them often.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #23  
I would have told them I wasnt willing to fix it the way you did. It's obvious you don't care about the owner you don't need to tell us that. Lol.

Without seeing the bucket I guess I would have cut the ears off and welded on a new set.

I have 4 buckets for my excavator, two if which I made myself and switch them often.
I care about the dealer more than the owner whom I don't know. I do this stuff all the time. I also rebuild large excavator and front end loader buckets.

Like I said I want to know how you'd approach it in an expeditious and cost effective manner... waiting.

Just got another one dropped off this afternoon. Same deal, mis aligned welded in bosses so I'm all ears.

I could fixture it in the vertical mill and bore the bosses with a boring tool but that would render the pin and the bucket bosses unuseable and I'd have to size them to another pin diameter and replace the pin as well.

I'm all ears.

Far as reaming (which I would not do because reamers are for finishing, not bore enlargement) and enlarging the bore of the misaligned boss will do nothing other than cause a sloppy pin fit. Do this stuff all the time and never had any issue with returns. In fact, on the last one I did, pin misalignment was about 0.009. Just enough so it would not fit. Took a slim cut on the end and it dropped right in and still had at least 2/3rds bearing surface on the boss itself.

Just got a large articulated loader bucket delivered that needs a side sheet replacement and a couple grouser teeth bosses replaced too.

Most if not all of the add on BH attachments are built with an ample safety factor anyway. Never seen anyone break a pin yet. I've seen more than one where the pins get worn out form lack of grease however. Last year I completely rebushed a Case Extenda-hoe with all new 660CA oil impregnated bronze bushings and it was less expensive for me to turn them from bar stock than buy them from Case. Had to do the arm (dipper stick) slides too.

Please elaborate on how I should do it 'correctly' I always like armchair experts and you appear to fill that bill quite nicely.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #24  
That does absolutely nothing for the welded in boss misalignment and screws up a brand new, never used bucket too. This is all new, never used equipment, not some beat to hell stuff. I have to be careful not to scratch the stuff too. Customers don't like scratches.

Like I said, waiting for your 'expert armchair how to... I do this stuff a lot.

I prefer beat on equipment. Don't have to worry about scratching it...lol

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #25  
Load me up a picture so I don't have to guess at what I'm trying to armchair fix. Lol. I've done enough Jackleg repairs in the past to learn fixing stuff improperly isn't worth it. I know the way you describing fixing it isn't the way I'd want my equipment fixed.
That does absolutely nothing for the welded in boss misalignment and screws up a brand new, never used bucket too. This is all new, never used equipment, not some beat to hell stuff. I have to be careful not to scratch the stuff too. Customers don't like scratches.

Like I said, waiting for your 'expert armchair how to... I do this stuff a lot.

I prefer beat on equipment. Don't have to worry about scratching it...lol

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #26  
I just repaired a brand new Kubota backhoe for my dealer that had the exact same issue as you have. When the bushing was jigged up for welding, the welder didn't align the bushing properly in the jig so there was no way the pin was going through both (and this one was out by just about that much. The bushing was welded off the trough hole about that much. I had a couple choices to fix it. I could have gouged off the welds on the bushing with my plasma cutter or ground them off with an abrasive wheel and then repositioned the bushing correctly (which would have been quite involved) This is the way I did it...

Chucked the pin in one of my lathes and turned the end of the pin down to where it would fit. I turned the pin back just far enough so it would go in the bushing and still be bottomed against it with the fixing bolt installed in the pin. I also drilled the pin and cross drilled it for grease and added a zerk fitting to the end. Customer will never know what I did and everyone was happy. One of your pin bushings was welded not in alignment. What happens when a production welder don't double check the work prior to welding.

Do those kind of fixes for my dealer all the time. Replacement parts are hard to get today so no point in letting a minor issue like that hold up the sale of a new tractor.

First off why would you waste time and money screwing around with new equipment? Take it back and get one the works. Second that’s a garbage fix. You can’t change the bucket now. Why would you spend money buying a quick coupler bucket if you weren’t going to change it? I along with most other mini x owners frequently change the bucket. You can do whatever you want for your equipment but that “fix” isn’t going to cut it for mine. I’m not above a jerry rigged solution but if I pay 60 grand for a mini x I’m going to have a bucket that fits.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #27  
I care about the dealer more than the owner whom I don't know. I do this stuff all the time. I also rebuild large excavator and front end loader buckets.

Like I said I want to know how you'd approach it in an expeditious and cost effective manner... waiting.

Just got another one dropped off this afternoon. Same deal, mis aligned welded in bosses so I'm all ears.

I could fixture it in the vertical mill and bore the bosses with a boring tool but that would render the pin and the bucket bosses unuseable and I'd have to size them to another pin diameter and replace the pin as well.

Cutting the ears off and rewelding is the only true solution. The ear on the bracket probably doesn’t fit right either and is going to cause increased wear. If I was going to attempt fixing the hole I think drilling out the hole and welding in a bushing that’s correctly aligned would be the most feasible solution.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #28  
Not the ears on the bucket. It's the welded on boss on the dipperstick that is crooked.... duh. The ears on the bucket are fine.

Not a mini ex anyway, it's a Kubota backhoe for a tractor. Second one I've had to fix. As hard as it is to get any parts today, better to fix it than wait 6 months for a new part.

Really sorry I posted a comment. Obvious to me that none of you know anything about it. Armchair quarterbacking is wonderful for you. Not for me.

All this stuff is new. It's a factory screw up.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #29  
Cutting the ears off and rewelding is the only true solution. The ear on the bracket probably doesn’t fit right either and is going to cause increased wear. If I was going to attempt fixing the hole I think drilling out the hole and welding in a bushing that’s correctly aligned would be the most feasible solution.
Actually considered gouging off the crooked boss and rewelding a new one in it's place but the pin don't rotate, the bucket does. The pin is captured with a fixing bolt on the opposite end. All I did was skim cut the pin maybe 0.005 so it would fit in the mis welded (crooked boss). Has nothing to do with the bucket at all. Just the poorly welded boss. Like I said, I have at least 90% contact in the boss and that should be plenty. You people have a fixiation with the bucket which has nothing to do with the issue at all. Bucket is fine, other boss is fine too. Bucket is square with the dipperstick at all times in all angles. I want to do as little damage to the new dipperstick as possible and I don't want to be doing extensive refinishing after the fact either.

Told you how I fixed it and the dealer was 100% happy with it too. Just a piece of equipment for me. Nothing more. I have no dog in the game as far as the customer is concerned, don't even know who bought it and really don't care. It will be fixed tomorrow and back to the dealer so he can assemble the dipperstick to the upper arm and send it on it's way. Customer is anxious anyway, he waited months for the backhoe as it was. I have other stuff to work on and I'm not making a career out of a simple fix. Why I get this stuff in the first place. Do a ton of this stuff all the time, I get to fix factory screw ups.

I'm done here. Have a nice day. Not appreciative of armchair quaterbacks in the first place. This is a business for me, not a hobby.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue
The fix was to buy a magnetic drill and proper size bit to make the hole proper size. Pin fits now.