Best way to cut large tire in half?

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #1  

AaronD81

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I want to cut a large (70in diameter) tractor tire in half (two half circles) for goat toys. What's the easiest way to do this? Angle grinder or sawzall? What type of blade? Something else? A demo saw would probably be fastest but I don't feel like renting one just for this.

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #2  
I'd go for the angle grinder, at least on the bead. The tractor probably has metal wires in the bead. After you get through the bead, maybe a sawzall might be better, or perhaps a skill saw. It is going to be a stinky job if you have to use the angle grinder all the way but it will probably be the best quality cut.

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #3  
Agree with Cougsfan - I used a Sawzall to try and cut a rear tire from a ZTR off the rim, but the wires in the bead were too much for the Sawzall to handle. Angle grinder would probably be the quickest.

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #4  
my go to would be a skill saw with a 40-tooth blade and an angle grinder with a very thin cut off wheel... I don't think a sawzall would work too well...

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #5  
I would bury 1/2 into the ground so the goats can play safely.

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #6  
I've done this with a sawzall. I think the angle grinder would gum up and smoke like heck.

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #7  
I see people online cutting them with those vibrating cutters with zero smoke. Seems like the way to go.

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #8  
Angle grinder will generate lots and lots of smoke and really really stink! BTDT, but it does work and makes a reasonably nice cut edge. The wires are still going to stick out a little ways (like 1/16") or so.

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #9  
I would try the sawzall, keep it lubed with a squirt bottle filled with soapy water.

/ Best way to cut large tire in half? #10  
Sawzall with a metal cutting blade.