Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #21  
You folks have convinced me to not get any sharpening system. :cool: Will stick with on the saw, and filing by hand. Will still send some chains to a sharpening service shop.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #22  
Dads dont have that hydraulic vise set up or cost that much. Was close to 200 new years ago. Tecomec TL136 is what I think his was.

USG has a option for foot pedal operated vise but I just do it the manual way. Hope it all works out for ya. GL

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #23  
Best bang for the buck - Harbor Freight

Attachments

• image_25911.jpg
    image_25911.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 77
   / Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #26  
Dad tried that HF pos. I checked it out. :rolleyes:

Why he owns the Tecomec now.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #27  
I just use a Stihl 2 in 1. Never saw a need for anything more. I guess since I only need to cut about 15 cords a year I don’t go thru more than a chain every other or 3rd year. maybe I am missing something a power tool would do? Can someone educate me on what an expensive tool would do that a stihl 2 in 1 isn’t doing? I hit the chain after each cord or so to keep the edge and knock down the guides. just finished my 3rd year on the same chain. Glad to be done!

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #28  
I usually touch up the chain on the saw with a file and guide. I got a HF sharpeer at a garage sale for $5 and it works OK. I've also used rotary stones ad that's fast.

I like that Timberline setup and also the diamond file w/guide and 12v motor.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #29  
My issue with ALL chain grinders is. they remove too much of the tooth which is ok if the tooth is really dull or chipped but for touching up a chain that isn't buggered up, filing is the only way to go.

Being inherently cheap, I don't need to grind away excessive amounts of tooth if not needed. Besides, learning how to file a chain properly is a good skill to learn. Kind of similar to off hand sharpening twist drills or TIG welding.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #30  
My issue with ALL chain grinders is. they remove too much of the tooth which is ok if the tooth is really dull or chipped but for touching up a chain that isn't buggered up, filing is the only way to go.

Being inherently cheap, I don't need to grind away excessive amounts of tooth if not needed. Besides, learning how to file a chain properly is a good skill to learn. Kind of similar to off hand sharpening twist drills or TIG welding.
If you are removing too much metal with the grinder then the grinder isn't adjusted correctly. Absolute no reason that the grinder should be removing more metal than a file on the same chain.