Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #12  
Silly question. How many of you guys have a grinder chain sharpener tool and still do them by hand??
I do my chain by hand if short like 24" under. I only use my grinder for my stuff if longer and bunch of chains to do.

Did I mention I hate doing chains. So boring and repetitious.

silveyx.jpg

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #13  
i use an oregon grinder also. works great, easy to learn.

when i made my gun range backstop from old RR ties, id get about 2-3 cuts per sharpening due to rocks in old RR ties. the grinder sharpened them right up. used 1 chain for entire thing. then tossed chain.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300
The reason my post said ”off the saw” is due to my buddy and I looking at purchasing or building a firewood processor. At 1/2 to 1 cord an hour, I expect we will be going through a number of chains a day.

I have manual sharpeners for my Shindawa and Hsqvarna saws

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #15  
Only if you hit metal in the saw logs. Get yourself a carbide tipped chain. Not cheap but metal won't dull them.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #16  
What I have. I prefer hand filing but if the chain gets buggered up from hitting something, out comes the Timberline.

If you want to sharpen the chain on the saw in the field, I suggest buying an Oregon Stump vise as well. Drive the vise into the cut side of a larger log and clamp the bar in the vise and clamp the Timberline on the bar. That way things don't move around.

They work real well on a buggered chain.

Last edited:
   / Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #17  
I use the Ez-Lap diamond sharpener $11.90 at their website or $15.90 at Amazon Lets me sharpen on the bar in the field.
I've used their 12V chainsaw sharpening kit for more than 30 years.
With a stone the diameter gets smaller with every tooth you sharpen. with the diamond file I get 20 - 30 34" chains sharpened before I replace the rotary file. Diamond seems to be much faster too.
Kit with 12V motor that runs off car battery $39.95 at ezlap. Couldn't find the kit at Amazon.

12-Volt Chainsaw Sharpening Kit​

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #18  
Silly question. How many of you guys have a grinder chain sharpener tool and still do them by hand??
Me.

I'm using the STIHL 2 in 1 sharpeners, all my saws are Stihl except for my little but very useful Milwaukee Hatchet which uses the same chain size as my Stihl Kombi pruner attachment. It doesn't take long to touch up a chain by hand if you keep up with them.

I have the "cheap" HF bench sharpener, I've had success with it albeit I don't use it that much unless I really damage the cutting edges of a chain. I also am not afraid to toss a well-used chain and break out a new one, they are simply not that expensive.

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300
Think I will go with the Tecomec. More than I wanted to pay but great reviews. Buy once, cry once.

Sir, you are one of the few who understood my needs to sharpen off the saw.

Good files $16 a dozen if that is all your doing. Unless super long chains.

Yes I own grinder too. Stihl USG. But because I do chains for locals that was wearing me out with their crap chains.

Dad has a Tecomec grinder good priced well built grinder.

Guy north of me has a mail order business for just doing chains. He has 5 Frazen machines.
His website if you get to that point. HOME | razzorsharp

View attachment 761241View attachment 761242

/ Best Chainsaw Sharpener under $300 #20  
The reason my post said ”off the saw” is due to my buddy and I looking at purchasing or building a firewood processor. At 1/2 to 1 cord an hour, I expect we will be going through a number of chains a day.

I have manual sharpeners for my Shindawa and Hsqvarna saws
Should have mentioned that at the start, puts an entirely different spin on things.