Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #821  
I will never go back to gas powered chainsaws or yard machines. Get my milwaukee chains from Home Depot. Keep extras on hand just in case.
I use my battery outdoor equipment 90% of the time on property.

That said I am unwilling to not use my paid for Honda pro mower and Echo Handlebar brush cutter when it is far superior and far more economical.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #822  
I use my battery outdoor equipment 90% of the time on property.

That said I am unwilling to not use my paid for Honda pro mower and Echo Handlebar brush cutter when it is far superior and far more economical.
I only have 1.5 acres to care for so the Battery tools are way more than enough for me. I can say for sure 2 acres or more and youll be going and charging many batteries and going through head units.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #823  
I only have 1.5 acres to care for so the Battery tools are way more than enough for me. I can say for sure 2 acres or more and youll be going and charging many batteries and going through head units.
There's a proper tool for every job. When I lived in suburbia, and only ever used a chainsaw for cutting firewood to length, a corded electric was way more convenient than a gasser. But now I go into the woods and harvest all my own, and my wood lot is a long walk from the nearest receptacle, gasoline power is the best option.

Of course, improving battery tech is always moving that threshold.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #824  
There's a proper tool for every job. When I lived in suburbia, and only ever used a chainsaw for cutting firewood to length, a corded electric was way more convenient than a gasser. But now I go into the woods and harvest all my own, and my wood lot is a long walk from the nearest receptacle, gasoline power is the best option.

Of course, improving battery tech is always moving that threshold.
We may be there by now. I just got a new Greenworks battery saw. It is an absolute torque monster.

Greenworks Commercial 82V 20" 3.4kW 4.56HP Chainsaw "65cc gas equivalent power". I'm still in the first day of testing. Most of what I have to cut is 6" or 8" or smaller. Fir or oak. It really didn't slow the saw at all. I'll try to get some larger oak cuts soon.

The battery didn't last quite as long as I had hoped. But, perhaps one could make a half a pickup load (level top of bed) with an 82v, 4Ah battery. Anyway, one battery was probably about the same as a full tank of gas in my McCulloch 10-10, and faster cutting than the McCulloch, as well as significantly quieter.

There are options for 4Ah, 5Ah, 6Ah, and 8Ah batteries with single battery weights from 4.57 to 8.6 lbs. There is also an option for a 12 Ah backpack. So far I've chosen to only get the 4Ah and 5Ah batteries to save a bit of weight.

Anyway, if one has recharging capabilities, then 2 or 3 batteries should be sufficient for continuous use. The 4Ah battery recharged pretty quickly, rated at 1/2 hour for a 4Ah battery, 1 hour for 8Ah.

If one doesn't have recharging capabilities, then perhaps a couple of batteries and one could fill one's pickup with wood. Inverter in the pickup? Cut long pieces to resaw?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #825  
So there is a gas station in your woods?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #826  
So there is a gas station in your woods?
No, but a little 1 gallon can of mix lasts me all day. I keep two in rotation, and refill the empty next time I'm in town, gassing one of our vehicles. Much more convenient than stringing out a few hundred feet of cord, and because I already own the saws, still cheaper and more convenient than buying and carrying enough battery power to last all day.

I did look at the EGO saws, just out of curiosity. They're actually getting to the point where they're worth serious consideration, esp. for homeowners with less frequent need, where a 2-stroke might be sitting on the shelf weeks or months between uses. I believe anyone who says they're torque monsters, even if the horsepower at peak RPM is much lower. That probably translates into being able to pull a bar way beyond their class, never bogging when a 2-stroke would, albeit with much less cutting speed when not overloaded.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #827  
It turns out that all of my "already owned" gas saws are massively obsolete.

I have 2 McCulloch model 10-10 saws. One has an automatic oiler and doesn't want to start. The other one doesn't have the automatic oiler, and does run OK as long as one keeps pushing that oil button.

I'm working on getting an older McCulloch model 55 (I think) running. It should be a real beast. Also no automatic oiler. There isn't much of a chance of ever finding a new chain for that saw should I need one without also replacing the drive sprocket and possibly the bar.

Then there is the mini Poulan saw that has something wrong with the fuel system, and the fuel line just crumbled in my fingers. I have no expectations of it putting out any real power.

None of those saws have kickback brakes.

Then there is the massively under powered Ryobi gas saw. It has some of the modern features, but no real power.

So out of the pile of saws, only 2 actually run, and only 1 with an automatic oiler and kickback brake. And one might be quicker to just use a hand saw.

The new Greenworks saw will run circles around the Mac 10-10 saws, and all the others, except perhaps the McCulloch 55 which isn't running yet. And, my guess is that one will only have an advantage on logs greater than 20" or 30" in diameter which is the minority of my cutting. I doubt it would be able to keep up with 6" to 8" limbs which I cut a lot of.

The Greenworks stops the chain a couple of seconds after power is released. And, it is loud but tolerable. The gas saws are loud enough to always require hearing protection. I think on idle the chain won't have a lot of power, but it does turn.

I don't want to bring the new Greenworks Commercial 82V up a ladder. Too heavy, and too much power. So that will be relegated to an older electric. But, I definitely don't want to be working one of the older gas saws while on a ladder.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #828  
No complaints on the Stihl AP Battery equipment except cost...

A friend had a tree that toppled and I happened to have my saw... Bar almost make it halfway through the día. in oak.

I was able to nicely section it for her in several places to clear the driveway.

Every fall I bring my AP blower to work when the leaves drop.

Boss wanted me to do more but I had not charged my battery... she said go buy a battery since you use it here every fall.

When the bill came in for $230 she said why did you buy a blower when we had discussed the battery?

I said the bill is for one battery...

To buy the blower, battery and quick charger is over $700.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #829  
No complaints on the Stihl AP Battery equipment except cost...

When the bill came in for $230 she said why did you buy a blower when we had discussed the battery?
Which Stihl do you have?

I was looking at the Stihl MSA 300 at $820 for the bare saw, plus $380 for the AP 500S battery. Plus the charger. And one is over $1,300 with a single battery.

I'm convinced the Greenworks Commercial 20" is a better saw for half the cost.

But I'd like to see a good side-by-side comparison with the Stihl and Greenworks.

Still drooling over the Greenworks Commercial 24" whenever it actually hits the market.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #830  
I've had mine awhile and at the Christmas Tree farm we have 2 more.

They are all MSA 200 with 14" bar.

They do take a narrow chain where some of the others more conventional.

The list is $599.

I don't remember paying anywhere near $599 six or so years ago...

Part of my decision to Stihl is a very good small family operated business nearby... I also use the long pole limbing saw and long pole hedge trimmers for rental properties.

Once you decide on a brand and have batteries and charger it is a commitment.

That small dealer also sold a lot of Honda and with Honda leaving California it is a real hardship...