Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #721  
Ah, that wasn't the challenge. For some people, money is no object.

Even with a ridiculous supply of batteries I don’t think the challenge can be met.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #722  
So many debbie downers. :ROFLMAO:

Why even be in the battery thread if you just going to talk down.

Every tool has it's place and man can not own enough of the right tools for the job at hand.

Wife saved me alot of work with that right there battery cutting the limbs up for smoker wood. I tried it with gas saw. Was just easier her way.

bdpruner.jpg

/ Battery powered chainsaw #723  
I guess as many as you want but using $1000 worth of batteries to do the same work as $5 of gas seems pretty foolish.
In all fairness, the batteries are rechargeable, with realistic lifespans of 300-500 cycles for Li-Ion. So, even in your case of $1000 worth of batteries, you're talking $2 per cycle per battery, which is way less than the cost of filling a saw with pre-mix fuel, and almost on-par with the cost of mixing your own premium non-E fuel.

To me though, the cost is irrelevant. I'm infinitely wealthy, at least with regard to the cost of a few ounces of fuel or a few batteries, total non-issue. It's all about time and convenience, when burning those few free daylight hours on a Saturday in the woods.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #724  
Gas, Battery, Manual, Corded. I got them all here. Be prepared for anything 🤷‍♂️

You just never know when the need arises.

No I never use the corded thing but couldnt pass it up. 😂

Also have Gen on wheels for welder etc too. So before ya say only as good as cord and outlet. But no I wont do that either. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 834715View attachment 834716View attachment 834717

I detest "peak HP"
particularly on corded equipment, it's basically saying "while it's rapidly slowing down we very briefly saw 4HP but at 13A you'll be lucky to get 1.5HP continuous"

(not a dig on op here - I see that on a lot of my own equipment as well, we all (hopefully) just know not to pay it any attention)

/ Battery powered chainsaw #725  
Recently I cut down a white pine about 20" diameter using 80v Greenworks saw. I was able to cut & limb it with one fully charged battery.
We don't burn wood, so these jobs like that it's the perfect tool for the job. I have lots of mainly DeWalt 20v tools, all are fantastic and time savers!

/ Battery powered chainsaw #726  
I detest "peak HP"
particularly on corded equipment, it's basically saying "while it's rapidly slowing down we very briefly saw 4HP but at 13A you'll be lucky to get 1.5HP continuous"

(not a dig on op here - I see that on a lot of my own equipment as well, we all (hopefully) just know not to pay it any attention)
Remember in the 1980s when "boom boxes" were popular? Some had a label "1000W IPP" instantaneous peak power. It actually was maybe 10 watts/ channel.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #727  
Recently I cut down a white pine about 20" diameter using 80v Greenworks saw. I was able to cut & limb it with one fully charged battery.
We don't burn wood, so these jobs like that it's the perfect tool for the job. I have lots of mainly DeWalt 20v tools, all are fantastic and time savers!
I tried this on a black locust, and it was a no go. New saw, new battery (2ah) and I had to grab a second battery

/ Battery powered chainsaw #728  
So many debbie downers. :ROFLMAO:

Why even be in the battery thread if you just going to talk down.

Every tool has it's place and man can not own enough of the right tools for the job at hand.

Wife saved me alot of work with that right there battery cutting the limbs up for smoker wood. I tried it with gas saw. Was just easier her way.

View attachment 834792
I don't have a battery powered chain saw. But I have used my little 1 handed Milwaukee Hackzall with a pruning blade on many occasion. That's what I typically grab when just cutting a few limbs or other small odd cutting jobs. So much easier than getting the big saw out and smelling like 2 stroke for the rest of the day.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #729  
I detest "peak HP"
There are many ways of measuring power, all of them valid, but giving numbers without disclosing the conditions can be misleading. These saws almost definitely use a type of brushed motor called a universal motor, same as woodworking routers, which have massive torque for their small size. It's common to use a method known as "stalled current" to determine the peak horsepower of a universal motor, basically mechanically stalling the spindle and measuring how much current the thing draws at a given voltage. It is a valid and useful measurement of what the tool can do under that scenario, if only briefly.

I like the way these guys denote rated versus peak horsepower, although I wish they also disclosed whether that peak horsepower is based on stall current, or perhaps when the motor or battery trips a thermal overload. And if it's the latter, what's the current-time constant product? Again, numbers without definition aren't all that useful, but it's common in consumer-grade product specs.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #730  
I don't have a battery powered chain saw. But I have used my little 1 handed Milwaukee Hackzall with a pruning blade on many occasion. That's what I typically grab when just cutting a few limbs or other small odd cutting jobs. So much easier than getting the big saw out and smelling like 2 stroke for the rest of the day.
I have both the m12 mini hacksaw and m18 saw. I use the mini as my first go to every time.