Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #361  
'Rocking' a chain means either hitting metal in a cut or sticking the bar in the dirt. Sounds to me like you are experiencing a pitch issue which will cause the chain links to become stiff. Can you increase the oiling rate on your saw? Mine all have adjustable rate oilers, usually a screw on the bottom of the saw and you might want to add a bit of kerosene to the bar oil to help flush the pitch away.

Not an issue here.

Nothing better than hitting metal in any cut to make for a bad day. My buddy runs carbide tooth chains because he cuts wood everywhere. Problem is, you have to have a diamond wheel (expensive) to sharpen them and they are very expensive. Solid carbide tooth chains are what first responders use, but they buy them on your dime.
Makes sense… I have one carbide chain but never tried it…

Sometimes the oak is so green it squirts…

Will try kero

/ Battery powered chainsaw #362  
My greenworks 60v works much much better with the 5amp batteries vs the 2 or 2.5amp.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #363  
My greenworks 60v works much much better with the 5amp batteries vs the 2 or 2.5amp.

Agree. My DeWalt runs great on 5 amp but I don't even bother trying to use the 2 amp batteries on it anymore. Those are for drills. Same with the angle grinder.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #364  
The 50 buck Bauer (tool only) 14" chainsaw I got for my wife specifically states to use either a 3AH or 5AH pack and nothing less. Nice little saw btw. Comes with an Oregon Lo Pro chain and Oregon bar with a greaseable roller nose.

Hard to go wrong for 50 bucks plus HF is running a promotion on it. You buy the saw and HF gives you a 3AH pack for zip.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #365  
Is keeping those batteries refrigerated going to be the norm for you??

If it's a hot sunny day, keep your tools & spare batteries in the shade. If there's a flat heat sink nearby - like a rock or concrete slab - keep the batteries on that. Putting tools & batteries in cool damp (not wet) grass to keep them cool too.

I had a task where I had to use a biscuit joiner on some very hard wood repeatedly and I found that it was getting really warm. I broke up the job so that I could cut a bunch of slots, toss the joiner in the freezer, do some other things, get the joiner out, repeat, and it was a lot happier.

Guessing time: The 5Ah batteries probably have 2.5x more cells than the 2Ah (and 2x than the 2.5Ah), and/or the cells themselves are larger, so each cell is being asked for less so each cell isn't generating as much heat - in fact, at the same power draw, there's likely less total heat in the 5Ah than in a smaller battery, because the heat generation probably goes up faster than current draw (ie, pull 2x the current from a battery and it probably generates more than 2x the heat) so it'll handle it better.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #366  
Guessing time: The 5Ah batteries probably have 2.5x more cells than the 2Ah (and 2x than the 2.5Ah), and/or the cells themselves are larger, so each cell is being asked for less so each cell isn't generating as much heat - in fact, at the same power draw, there's likely less total heat in the 5Ah than in a smaller battery, because the heat generation probably goes up faster than current draw (ie, pull 2x the current from a battery and it probably generates more than 2x the heat) so it'll handle it better.
If double the cells but same voltage then cells are paralleled. This reduces the resistance allowing more current to flow.

However, larger capacity cells can be used, and internal resistances vary widely among lithium cells.

Lower resistance will result in less heat.

The borrowed EGo 16" saw strained using my fresh 2AH battery on green sasafras but did it's best with a 7.5AH. Later purchased the 18" after it came out. Came with 5AH. Loves that but didn't strain on green maple with the 2AH.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #367  
There's a reason they liquid cool the battery packs on Tesla's. Especially when using it in Ludacris mode !

/ Battery powered chainsaw #368  
The Tesla battery is also heated by it’s coolant.

And possibly to your surprise, it may be heated to prepare for Supercharging. When navigation comes near a Supercharger stop the car will start “preconditioning” the battery for what is to come. It tells the driver this is occurring.

If you have been in the raid for a while there is very little preconditioning needed, but if the Supercharger is 15 miles from a cold start then preconditioning starts almost immediately.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #369  
If it's a hot sunny day, keep your tools & spare batteries in the shade. If there's a flat heat sink nearby - like a rock or concrete slab - keep the batteries on that. Putting tools & batteries in cool damp (not wet) grass to keep them cool too.

I had a task where I had to use a biscuit joiner on some very hard wood repeatedly and I found that it was getting really warm. I broke up the job so that I could cut a bunch of slots, toss the joiner in the freezer, do some other things, get the joiner out, repeat, and it was a lot happier.
Trying to keep your batteries cool while getting all-day work done is inpractical. We go into the feild with a bag that has three or more fresh battery in it. No worries.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #370  
Trying to keep your batteries cool while getting all-day work done is inpractical. We go into the feild with a bag that has three or more fresh battery in it. No worries.
You're also in a forest; a lot of my work is done under a scorching sun in the open