Ballast Box Equation

/ Ballast Box Equation #1  

moored4

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N
I have been looking and reading in the old threads on and off now for3 days! I know it is here but can not find it! :smiley_aafz:

In one of the threads on ballast there was posted a formula for figuring the proper amount of weight needed for any given FEL lift weight. I know it is like a see-saw equation (kid A weighs so much sitting so far from fulcrum and kid B sitting opposite at a given distance then kid B should weigh X amount)

If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it! :)
And a BIG thanks! :thumbsup:

/ Ballast Box Equation #2  
This might be what you are looking for. There is a response to this post in the thread that looks like it might be informative.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/176692-what-should-my-rear-ballast-3.html#post2014292

Just for kicks, I went out and took some measurments off my tractor. The distance from the center of the front axle to the bucket edge is 67". The distance from front axle to 3PH pins is 91". 67/91=.74.

What that means is to maintain the same F/R weight % you would need 74% of whatever your loader can lift hanging off the 3PH pins. Assuming your tractors measurments equal about the same ratio. Your loader can lift~ 545lbs at the edge. 545*.74=~400lbs of ballast needed to maintain the same weight distribution.

But 500-600 would be a little better IMO because even with no load in the bucket, if you rais it all the way, it can become a little unstable. 2 reasons is that it raises the center of gravity, and also because it moves the load farther from the front axle which is what the tractor tries to pivot around. Thus giving it more leverage on the ballast.

I also wanted to point out that my wheel base is 64". The loader pins are 67" in front of the front axle. Almos a 1:1 ratio. That means that for every pound of fluid in the tire will only ballast 1 pound in the bucket. I have loaded tires @ 200lbs each on a loader that will lift 853lbs @ the edge. Loaded rears will only account for about half the load in the bucket.

Just some food for though for those who care to ponder.

Thanks,
Greg

/ Ballast Box Equation #3  
Attached is a couple of pages taken from a "Safe Tractor Use" publication showing a (simple!) formula that might be of help.

Regards

Billy

/ Ballast Box Equation #4  
I use assorted loads for ballast. Just estimate the ballast I'll need for a certain job and pickup one of the loaded pallets I have around. Blocks, steel, bricks, etc...
My 3pt forks allow for an assortment of loads. I also have a hole in each fork to mount trailer balls. Easy to see what you羆*e hitching too.
Never thought I needed a separate implement for FEL ballast.

Attachments

• IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
    935.6 KB · Views: 128