baler fit on a trailer?

/ baler fit on a trailer? #11  
I dont think a BIG holiday weekend is when I would want to be hauling a bulky item like that around. With all the extra patrol on the road and even slightly oversize load is going to get stopped. Next week would have been better when no one had money for overtime.

also keep in mind that depending on the state your going through 8'6 may be to wide. PA has a 8ft limit.

/ baler fit on a trailer? #12  
big bulky item, its less than 8ft6in, i wouldnt be at all worried about it, its perfectly legal, most car trailers are 8ft6in to the outside of the fenders. when i start to get worried is hauling stuff like my 10ft wide rake home on the back of my truck on the interstate highway, even then all i did was put red flags on the outer edges and go for it, passed a few cops but no one had a problem with it. what he is doing is still legal so i wouldnt worry a bit about it, and besides they are usualy alot more leanient on farm machinery, heck people drive combines with 16ft heads all over on the roads, i go everywhere with a haybine thats 12ft wide and never had a problem.

/ baler fit on a trailer? #13  
Mark, trailers in Minnesota are 8' max. Farm exemption, a farm implement can be 10' with no problem. Fruther, a farm implement going under 30 mph and properly marked can be wider, just not cross the centerline.

So, you can tow a wide baler or haybine without worries in Minnesota. However, if you put it on a trailer, you hit the 8' width rule!!!! Different states have different rules. You can move farm equip up to 20' here if you have a lead pickup with flashers on.

As you say, probably get away with it. On the other hand, you get involved in an accident, and then what? Your insurance doesn't cover because you weren't legal, sue because they got hurt - and you are in a world of hurt too. I sure would not pick a holiday weekend with a lot of big campers on the road in inexperienced hands - ouch!

If it were me, i'd arange a heavy loader at the other end, place the baler on the trailer at an angle, & take the chute/ hitch/ etc. off until it fit. It will fit at an angle, but very difficult to 'roll' it to that postion. Once you got it home, you have time to figure out how you want to get it off.... I'd go there Saturday & get loaded, come back Sunday (not a holiday weekend) and leave early, best travel time with such stuff.

I know this is an older message, wonder how it turned out?

--->Paul

/ baler fit on a trailer?
OK, guys, here's how it went. Since it was going to be a 7-hr drive, I had to use a trailer. I didn't NEED the baler anyway, but it was at REAL good price. I called the guy and asked him if he had a local buyer. He said someone contacted him from 35 miles away and would buy it if our deal fell through. I told to just sell it locally. I was just not ready for this purchase.

John

/ baler fit on a trailer? #15  
FYI-
Since I am moving a baler in PA - There is an exemption to the 8 ft wide rule. If it is a farm implement it can be up to 10 ft wide but you can go on limited access highways. Just got off the phone with the PA state police.
Rich