Hauling Round Baler

/ Hauling Round Baler #1  

John Haeberle

Tractor
TC-30
I purchased a round baler at auction (Hesston 560) and now need to transport 350 miles.

The baler is just a hair over 9 feet wide.

Please give advice on my options:

1. 8' wide flat-bed with two axles, dually wheels; would require wide-load permits in two states and I'm still not sure how it would fit on the trailer

2. Hire it transported

3. Road transport by changing the tires to road tires; Still would require wide-load permits

4. Remove the wheels from the baler to bring under max. width, but would require heavy equipment to load/unload

And if you want to point out that I should've thought of this before bidding, get in line behind my wife!

How would you go about thinking about this problem?

/ Hauling Round Baler #3  
Will road tires suck you in under 8.5'? Generally you can tow ag equipment at 8.5' pretty easy, but not sure which states you need to cross.

/ Hauling Round Baler #4  
#2 as well. Especially if you haven't hauled larger things - there's always a learning curve and it usually translates into more money spent. Just talking from a few miserable experiences

/ Hauling Round Baler
Thanks for the replies ... I've hauled tractors, livestock, round bales, heavy trailers, but not for a living.

I doubt that road tires will suck it under 8.5', but that might be worth checking. Even so, I'd be right at the edge of safety on width of the trailer beneath, and I think the pickup roller will keep me from blocking it conveniently.

I'm leaning on hiring it out, but scared to even start to price it these days.

/ Hauling Round Baler #6  
Thanks for the replies ... I've hauled tractors, livestock, round bales, heavy trailers, but not for a living.

I doubt that road tires will suck it under 8.5', but that might be worth checking. Even so, I'd be right at the edge of safety on width of the trailer beneath, and I think the pickup roller will keep me from blocking it conveniently.

I'm leaning on hiring it out, but scared to even start to price it these days.
If the wheels get it to 8.5 why not just tow it? Bring stuff incase you need to repack the hubs but that's easy to check before you get moving and is only gonna take anther 20-30 minutes and about three extra tools if you're already changing tires. Heck, if it's used that's probably a task you need to get done anyway before working it.

Last baler I brought home was a Massey 1840 and pulled it just over 120 miles. Wouldn't go much farther than that without changing to road tires but I honestly saw no obvious wear damage even at that distance.

/ Hauling Round Baler #7  
Couple issues and why I'd go with number 2. One, ag implements that have wheels and tires aren't meant to pull over 20 mph in the first place and you have no idea what the wheel bearings are like (condition and if the previous owner even serviced them). Two, it will take you a long time at 20 per to get home and you cannot drive on any limited access highway with it, all secondary roads, least in this state (Michigan). The lowest legal speed on any limited access highway is 45 mph, well above the maximum allowed speed for any towed implement. Then there is the lights issue and 4 way flashers issues. Better ne legal as far as illumination is concerned and then the towed width.

If it was me, I'd contact Tractor House and have one of their carriers (they deal with a lot) give you a quote for transportation. let them get the permits and routing and all you have to do is unload their trailer (I hope you have the equipment to do that??

Used TH many times for transportation and it's always been a good experience.

In hindsight, you should have inquired as to transportation costs before bidding and winning. Transportation costs today aren't cheap and will the auction site load the unit on a trailer? I just had some ag equipment delivered to the farm a week ago and the per mile cost for me was $1.50 a book mile which is quite reasonable today. I rolled the transportation costs into my bid btw.

Have fun or should I say have grief if you do it yourself.

/ Hauling Round Baler
Thanks for the replies.

5030 ... we're thinking the same on all of this.

/ Hauling Round Baler #9  
Not exactly sure on the specs. But remove the tongue and it can prolly sit sideways on a flatbed…

/ Hauling Round Baler #10  
Load it on trailer, jack up each side and put dunnage (blocks) under each axle.
Remove wheels & tires.
Trailer it home.

or

Check the wheel bearings for play. Repack the wheel bearings after you are satisfied they are good. Stop every 50-100 miles and shoot the bearings with an infrared gun.

Try to stay under 45-50 MPH.