ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!??

/ ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!?? #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
ATVs and UTVs are incredibly useful machines. Heck my Kawasaki ATV has brought me to places unaccessible with any other mode of transportation, other than hiking.

But I have come across these fat bikes. Its a mountain bike with super wide tires, some of which are over 4" wide. People are using these bikes for trail maintenance and attaching chainsaw and other tools to them.

Fat Bikes as Trail Work Vehicles- Mtbr.com

These bikes can never replace UTVs, but they are a good tool and have their purpose. With starting prices at $500, the are a pretty cheap way to get around.

Attachments

• trail bike.jpg
    trail bike.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 175
   / ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!?? #2  
Looks neat but I am afraid I am a tad too old to try to pedal that thing through the woods. Plus, if chain sawing, where do you put the protective gear?

MoKelly

/ ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!?? #3  
Those are pretty cool! I saw those in a mag a few months back. I may consider buying one.

/ ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!?? #4  
Looks neat but I am afraid I am a tad too old to try to pedal that thing through the woods. Plus, if chain sawing, where do you put the protective gear?

MoKelly

In the front from the looks of the pics in the link

943667d1417621523t-fat-bikes-trail-work-vehicles-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417621521.626888.jpg

/ ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!?? #5  
Turkey hunting this could be handy to cover a lot of ground quietly

/ ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!?? #6  
I would have a hard time justifying the over $3k to buy one though. That's a lot of coin for a bicycle. $.02

/ ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!?? #8  
I would have a hard time justifying the over $3k to buy one though. That's a lot of coin for a bicycle. $.02

Not very many of them cost that much. The majority are right around $1200 from my experience. I have definitely wanted one ever since the Surly Pugsley came out. They have been on the market long enough that they are starting to show up on the used market, which is the only way I'd ever consider one. Most of them don't have any suspension components and have steel frames, which makes them more durable than the carbon fiber or aluminum mountain bikes with front or full suspension.

/ ATVs, UTV's, Bicycles??!?? #10  

Yet many of us "justify" well over 30,000 dollars to buy a brand new tractor we don't need? That's a lot of coin for a tractor...

(not saying you specifically)