Air Compressor Performance

/ Air Compressor Performance #11  
Everytime I think I want a larger capacity and quieter compressor setup, I am reminded by the long run/fill times, and stick with my 4.5gal, 3.5hp loud Porter Cable Job Boss, which only takes a minute to fill.

That's just fine if you can get by with it. Won't work at all for high flow tools. A big impact, for instance, will be next to useless with such a little compressor. But most are using electric ones these days anyway. I have a blast cabinet also though; small compressor won't fly there, either.

/ Air Compressor Performance #12  
Everytime I think I want a larger capacity and quieter compressor setup, I am reminded by the long run/fill times, and stick with my 4.5gal, 3.5hp loud Porter Cable Job Boss, which only takes a minute to fill.

I ran my new 80 gallon 2 stage goes from 0-175 psi in 6 1/2 minutes.
My old IR 60 gallon have not tested the time yet.
Going to install a new pump since it is pumping some oil .
Should have over 30 CFM @90psi with both compressors running.

/ Air Compressor Performance #14  
My Quincy is a vertical but my screw compressor is a horizontal. Both mine are capable of 175 PSI but I have them set to cut off at 135 psi. The lower the head pressure is, the less moisture they produce and they last longer as well and most air powered tools don't require 175 PSI anyway. The will run just fine at 135 or even 100 PSI so long as they can get the CFM.

/ Air Compressor Performance #15  
My Quincy is a vertical but my screw compressor is a horizontal. Both mine are capable of 175 PSI but I have them set to cut off at 135 psi. The lower the head pressure is, the less moisture they produce and they last longer as well and most air powered tools don't require 175 PSI anyway. The will run just fine at 135 or even 100 PSI so long as they can get the CFM.

For now I am keeping the new compressor at 175 for the bead breaker on my tire machine.
When it is really cold tires like 10 plies can be much harder to break the bead loose.

If 175 psi on the bead breaker won't do it, I will just use the TLB's bucket.
Just have to be sure to miss the rim itself.
I have to say once the break in oil was dumped and the synthetic oil put in the compressor sounds smoother.

/ Air Compressor Performance
I ran my new 80 gallon 2 stage goes from 0-175 psi in 6 1/2 minutes.

Thank you, that is the kind of quantitative information I was looking for. What is the brand and model?

/ Air Compressor Performance #17  
For now I am keeping the new compressor at 175 for the bead breaker on my tire machine.
When it is really cold tires like 10 plies can be much harder to break the bead loose.

If 175 psi on the bead breaker won't do it, I will just use the TLB's bucket.
Just have to be sure to miss the rim itself.
I have to say once the break in oil was dumped and the synthetic oil put in the compressor sounds smoother.

I just changed some 10 ply 12-16.5s. broke the beads with a stabilizer.

/ Air Compressor Performance
Something I've never did and probably won't do anyway. I see no need. Besides I have around 250 gallons of combined receivers, which I require for my plasma table anyway.

Me either but why wait until things fail, if we could easily see a decline in their performance before failure..when you require it?

/ Air Compressor Performance #19  
Thank you, that is the kind of quantitative information I was looking for. What is the brand and model?

It is branded as Black Diamond but is built by MAT Holdings which owns the old Sanborn name. They have several foundries and own Bendix along with several other companies.They manufacture Dewalts identical 80 gallon two stage, and their own brand "Industrial Air" and a few others with the same model number IV5048055
I do like that they sell a bundle kit with rings, new reeds,gaskets, and rod bearing shells. May order it to have since that is what Ingersoll promissed, and then when the rings needed replaced they just said no longer serviced.

Checked the old Ingersoll 60 gallon 5HP and it pumped up to 125 psi in 7:07 but it spins the single stage pump much faster than the 2 stage. Still not bad for a near 40 year old aircompressor that has sanded and painted cars, trucks, skid steers, tractors, trailers, and even a 12 yard dump truck.

Last edited:
   / Air Compressor Performance #20  
I'm more interested in the recharge times when using the compressor ie. 90-130 psi rather than fill from empty time. I also prefer quieter compressors.