A good quality Log Splitter

/ A good quality Log Splitter #11  
I am not sure if these are available in the USA but the Split-Fire is a great unit. With a double edged blade, it splits in both directions making it very fast. I split larger logs in half, join the pieces, turn them 90 degrees and split them into quarters on the reverse pass. They sell a quarter add-on as well.
It does not have a detent, but I view that as a risky idea. Here is the 20Ton unit.

343 2 Ton 2-Way 3-Point Hitch Wood Splitters - Split-Fire
You won’t go wrong with a Split Fire log splitter. I’ve owned mine for about ten years so I don’t know if they fit into your budget
But I can tell you they’re a beast of a machine.
I bought mine from a local dealer in Michigan.

B. John

/ A good quality Log Splitter #12  
Last year my friend bought a Champion 25 ton log splitter @ $800. He has worked the snot out of it (probably 75 firewood cords already). Operates horizontally or vertically, and starts on the first pull. Hasn't found anything he couldn't split. 11 second cycle time.

That's the one I have as well. It works fine.

/ A good quality Log Splitter
I have no interest in a 3PH mounted splitter as it ties up my tractor that is used to move logs to the cutting table and to move IBC totes of wood from the splitting area. Working next to a tractor at near full throttle for a few hours does not seem pleasant either.

In addition, my planned set up is to take splits from the outfeed table of the splitter and stack them into totes. A push though splitter seems a better option than a splitter where the wedge moves with the ram.

Here is a picture of how my wood will be stored:

IBC 2.jpg

I was hoping someone had direct experience with the kinetic splitters from DR as they seem to be a good fit for my needs.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #14  
A push though splitter seems a better option than a splitter where the wedge moves with the ram.

I agree, have used both and I like the push through best with a table..

/ A good quality Log Splitter #15  
I had a Didier - 25 ton splitter. Worked great for the ten years I burned wood. My particular problem. My "firewood trees" were all ancient Ponderosa pines. The butt diameter would be as big as 38". Made rolling the rounds up onto the splitter a real PITA.

Then I had a brain fart. I have a tractor and bucket on the FEL. Dig a shallow trench - roll the splitter into the trench. Now the splitter is level with the ground and much easier to roll up and split.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #16  
I had a Didier - 25 ton splitter. Worked great for the ten years I burned wood. My particular problem. My "firewood trees" were all ancient Ponderosa pines. The butt diameter would be as big as 38". Made rolling the rounds up onto the splitter a real PITA.

Then I had a brain fart. I have a tractor and bucket on the FEL. Dig a shallow trench - roll the splitter into the trench. Now the splitter is level with the ground and much easier to roll up and split.

That would be an interesting picture, how did you operate the splitter down in a hole?

/ A good quality Log Splitter #17  
I must not have explained it properly. The trench was bucket width - 8" to 10" deep - probably ten feet long. I would just roll the round across the ground and right onto the rail of the splitter. This was a horizontal splitter. It was not a PTO splitter.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #18  
I was about to extol on the virtues of my Ariens 27T, but it appears Ariens is now out of the log splitter business. What a shame, it's a fantastic machine. Might be able to locate a used one?

Highly recommend, if you can find one.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #19  
I was about to extol on the virtues of my Ariens 27T, but it appears Ariens is now out of the log splitter business. What a shame, it's a fantastic machine. Might be able to locate a used one?

Highly recommend, if you can find one.

Subaru engine?

/ A good quality Log Splitter #20  
Subaru engine?

Yes, my first experience with a small Subie....made a believer out of me, fantastic small engine.