A good quality Log Splitter

/ A good quality Log Splitter #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
Moderators, it this is should be posted in a different forum please move.

Any recommendations for a splitter that has these features:

- detent on valve and/or auto retract so I do not have to hold the lever constantly
- push through design (stationary wedge)
- 20T capacity
- 10 second or less cycle time
- out feed table

Budget is $2000. I split about 5 cords of wood a year. Mostly oak, maple, ash and birch. Want something that will last 15 years (75 cords)

I have looked at a lot of hydraulic units and found a couple that work but some are nearly $4000. DR has their RapidFire kinetic splitter on sale for $1800. Does anyone have experience with them?

RapidFire Log Splitter (Outsplits 28 Ton Wood Splitters) | DR Power Equipment

Thanks,

/ A good quality Log Splitter #2  
I am not sure if these are available in the USA but the Split-Fire is a great unit. With a double edged blade, it splits in both directions making it very fast. I split larger logs in half, join the pieces, turn them 90 degrees and split them into quarters on the reverse pass. They sell a quarter add-on as well.
It does not have a detent, but I view that as a risky idea. Here is the 20Ton unit.

343 2 Ton 2-Way 3-Point Hitch Wood Splitters - Split-Fire

/ A good quality Log Splitter #3  
Mine doesn't have all those features, but the most important thing for a log splitter wasn't listed. That's a Honda engine. Troy Bilt log splitters sold at Lowes have the Honda engine, and it's worth every penny.

27500492_10215624377025181_864574153257601442_o.jpg

/ A good quality Log Splitter #4  
I have this oregon 22 ton with a Honda engine. No complaints. To my surprise, I could not find a picture of mine on my phone. I just attached a Google images picture.download.jpeg-1.jpeg

Last edited:
   / A good quality Log Splitter #5  
Ditto on the Honda. I split 15 cords yr. She starts 1 pull even in -15. Everyone is different but I like the ram pushing to the wedge so the splits end up on my table out front. The best addition I did was a log lift. Load up 2-3 rounds, pull the lever and up they come. Simple to build and install. Good Luck !!

/ A good quality Log Splitter #6  
I have a 22 ton Brave with a Honda and like it very much.. Most any of the new ones have auto retract, 12-14 second cycle time is pretty normal. Never used a kinetic log splitter.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #7  
Last year my friend bought a Champion 25 ton log splitter @ $800. He has worked the snot out of it (probably 75 firewood cords already). Operates horizontally or vertically, and starts on the first pull. Hasn't found anything he couldn't split. 11 second cycle time.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #8  
Ditto on the Honda. I split 15 cords yr. She starts 1 pull even in -15. Everyone is different but I like the ram pushing to the wedge so the splits end up on my table out front. The best addition I did was a log lift. Load up 2-3 rounds, pull the lever and up they come. Simple to build and install. Good Luck !!
Got a picture? I have been considering making one. I'm better at copying than inventing.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #9  
I can recommend not buying a rugged made splitter. For more details you can see a thread I started a while back. And you can put a both way detent valve on a splitter for about $100.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #10  
Got a picture? I have been considering making one. I'm better at copying than inventing.

They’re a pretty simple device that saves a lot of work. My advice would be to mount it far enough forward that you can stand between it and the wheel. Because unlike this guy you want to work on the same side as the lift. Having to walk around the splitter every time to load another round would be ridiculous. And unlike a lot of homemade ones I suggest making it with a solid back. You’re going to mash your fingers sliding around pieces otherwise. Build it like the first or third picture not the second.IMG_7523.JPGIMG_7524.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7522.JPG
    IMG_7522.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 478