3 point rising up

/ 3 point rising up #21  
My flail takes a while to go back down so I push the lever down.

I have a lot of dips where I use the flail on the trails and between trees.
I'm sure you have a "speed of lowering" control on your 3pt hitch hydraulics.

/ 3 point rising up
Really no need to apologize for anything. If you figure it out I'm still curious what can cause it just in case I ever have the same problem.
No problem if I get it figured out I’ll repost the cause, I’m really not sure if it’s a problem with the tractor, or (more than likely) operator error. I can say it’s a great little tractor. I have over 400 hrs on it. No Real issues apart from occasionally having tighten up the backhoe controls and this.

Last edited:
   / 3 point rising up #23  
Have you tried tilling with some weight in the FEL, in 4WD. It can reduce the "rocking horse" motion that could contribute to the tiller raising up.

/ 3 point rising up #24  
I like the idea of checking the spring/or whatever mechanism returns the lever to center. Could it be pulling it towards the lift direction? Ever so slightly?

/ 3 point rising up
Have you tried tilling with some weight in the FEL, in 4WD. It can reduce the "rocking horse" motion that could contribute to the tiller raising up.
I did have some weight in the bucket but maybe not enough (1/4 full)

I like the idea of checking the spring/or whatever mechanism returns the lever to center. Could it be pulling it towards the lift direction? Ever so slightly?
That’s what I’m thinking too maybe there’s an adjustment that I’m not aware of

/ 3 point rising up #26  
If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly when it goes up the 3pt lever is also moving up at the same time without you touching it? And then you have to move the lever back down?
That shouldn't happen if that is the case? Normal 3pt operation if you set the lever to where you want it and the arms will drop the implement to that level. If something gets in the way of the implement reaching that set level (the ground for example!) then it will stop lowering, but as you move the tractor dragging the implement along it should continue to try and reach that set level.
I would investigate why that lever is moving on its own if that's what's happening?

E.

/ 3 point rising up #27  
If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly when it goes up the 3pt lever is also moving up at the same time without you touching it? And then you have to move the lever back down?
That shouldn't happen if that is the case? Normal 3pt operation if you set the lever to where you want it and the arms will drop the implement to that level. If something gets in the way of the implement reaching that set level (the ground for example!) then it will stop lowering, but as you move the tractor dragging the implement along it should continue to try and reach that set level.
I would investigate why that lever is moving on its own if that's what's happening?

E.

My JD 2240 does this with my MX-6 mower. I'll set the mower/3pt at the height I want, only to have the lever slowly work it's way up and raise the mower. I have to constantly monitor it. The only way it will stay down is if it is 100% at its lowest setting. I could put a bolt through the lever and tighten it down (it currently has a rivet, not a bolt), or add a spring of some sort, but it's pretty aggravating.

/ 3 point rising up #28  
The lower arms do float but when it’s hooked up to the hitch it’s all connected to the hydraulic raising arms that raise and lower it meaning everything gets pushed up. Maybe I’m hooking it up wrong? Any way for the time being I’ve installed and L bracket that holds up the lever spring that makes the lever return to middle position, it only affects the lowering not the raising, so now the lever stays down when lowered. So now it “floats”.
When you say the implements won't stay down are you saying it actually comes up and stays above the ground, or just that it won't stay down because it's skipping over the ground? If the latter, read below. If former, then it sounds like a "strange" hydraulic valve issue.

I'm pretty sure that 3ph's at this hp range do not have hydraulic down, just a release of up pressure (think of a hydraulic jack, pump up, release pressure down) unless you have a hydraulic top & tilt. With box blade, Tiller, etc you might not have enough weight to keep it down if the dirt is hard. If this is the case, most box blades have an area on top to create a weight box to weigh the blade down to help it from skipping over the dirt - so it can dig in. Most tillers can easily be modified with weight too. If you would rather not do this, consider a top & tilt - for best function you will need two aux hydraulics on the back of the tractor.

Let us know how things work out for you!

/ 3 point rising up #29  
Some of the responders talk of their 3 pt control as a joy stick type. I have a lever that I push forward to lower the hitch and pull back to raise it. If I choose set the hitch at a certain position there is a lock/stay on the lever that is supposed to hold the hitch in place.

/ 3 point rising up #30  
Hoho223......Your operation is not the same as the MF GC series... It does not have a "joystick" but it has a control lever, pull up lever from "neutral" it raises 3PH hydraulically, press down from "neutral" the valve opens to bleed off hydraulic pressure and 3PH drops...

Sounds like to me 3PH ram has a leak past the seal(s) on piston and it allows fluid to switch side of piston and holds it up once ground contact has forced 3PH up.... Or control valve has a problem with leak through and actually holds 3PH up when ground contact forces it up....

Last edited: