2440 Hydraulic Woes

/ 2440 Hydraulic Woes #1  

tallman8251

Tractor
JD 2440
Annnd I am back... Ok got some strange things afoot with the 2440...When the PTO is disengaged, center lever down, I am having hydraulic issues. The Power steering will only work intermittently with High RPM's, and the rock shaft will do the same it may or may not go up with the higher RPMS...

If I engage the PTO everything seems to run fine, although I am hearing some strange (hydraulic) noises that I dont recall the tractor making before.

Also dont know if this is related or not but the brake pedal sinks to floor all positions, and I have to pump it up to get the brakes to work. I haven't tried bleeding them yet, but just thought I would add this fun fact.

Thanks in advance for the help.

/ 2440 Hydraulic Woes #2  
Sounds as if hyd pto brake circuit is leaking. This could be a crack in brake circuit oil supply tube or control valve or brake band operating piston. Photo below is of brake band but operating piston has avoided my parts search. I continue my parts catalog search. Is your tractors serial # below or above 341,000? Brake reservoir is supplied oil via trans pump that also operates pto brake circuit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-25 062850.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-25 062850.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
   / 2440 Hydraulic Woes #3  
Brake tube is item 1

Attachments

• 1664106882752.png
    1664106882752.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 118
   / 2440 Hydraulic Woes #4  
When was the last time you serviced the hydraulic system, change oil, filter and clean the suction screen? It sounds like the hydraulic pumps are flow restricted, that will also restrict the output flow volume and pressure.

/ 2440 Hydraulic Woes #5  
When was the last time you serviced the hydraulic system, change oil, filter and clean the suction screen? It sounds like the hydraulic pumps are flow restricted, that will also restrict the output flow volume and pressure.
Speaking from 13 yrs experience that I served as a hands on JD dealer service manager I think when JD closed center hyd system operates fine with hyd pto engaged but has strange noise which is probably chattering when hyd pto brake is engaged I seriously doubt changing hyd filter & cleaning suction screen will solve the creation of the noise.

I'm not advocating not performing those tasks I just doubt that those tasks will solve this tractors hyd noise

/ 2440 Hydraulic Woes
Sounds as if hyd pto brake circuit is leaking. This could be a crack in brake circuit oil supply tube or control valve or brake band operating piston. Photo below is of brake band but operating piston has avoided my parts search. I continue my parts catalog search. Is your tractors serial # below or above 341,000? Brake reservoir is supplied oil via trans pump that also operates pto brake circuit.
Tractor filters were replaced recently as well as Drain and fill...

Based of what TX is saying I am going towards a Split to figure out what Chaos is going on inside the tractor.
Unfortunately I dont have the facilities to do this at my place so I am screwed for now.

Serial 255006

Thank you all for the input...

/ 2440 Hydraulic Woes #7  
I suggest to perform some GOOD diagnostics BEFORE splitting tractor. I suggest to remove shift cover & blow compressed air into brake engagement pipe & listen for hissing air.

/ 2440 Hydraulic Woes #8  
I am with TX Jim, I too think you have failed tube to the PTO brake. This will cause an internal leak to sump and bleed off the flow from the transmission pump to the front pump causing your problem.
If you do the repair or have it done replace BOTH PTO hydraulic tubes. The labor is the same for two as one.

/ 2440 Hydraulic Woes #10  
Congratulations on your successful repair. Thanks for updating your thread.
Jim