240v wire to barn size?

/ 240v wire to barn size? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I think I know answer, but appreciate input/ideas.
I'm running underground electric to a new barn from a garage. From panel to just inside barn is 130 ft. From panel to across barn other side is 200 ft.
Neighbor has lots of Square D boxes, etc. I can have. (His electrician Dad passed).
Barn will just have lights (maybe 6-7...so 420 watts max) 10 outlets (1500 watts max), so 25 amps max.
I thought I'd put a 50 amp breaker in garage box, run 8-2 uf wire out to a small panel box in barn. I don't need 240...but it's there and I can split it (2x120v).
I prefer copper...but I'm trying to save money. It would look and be better in conduit to other end...but shorter run means smaller gauge (200ft run=6-2 or maybe 4-2 wire?).
Thanks...ideas.

/ 240v wire to barn size? #2  
Run aluminum in conduit.

/ 240v wire to barn size? #3  
I agree with Barnbuilder about using aluminum, you might want to check into using direct bury rated tray cable. And if you want 240 volt in your barn you'll need 3 conductors and a ground. If I was going to go through the process of burying service to an outbuilding I would upsize the conductors and lay in a spare conduit.

/ 240v wire to barn size? #4  
Yep, aluminum service entrance cable would be cheaper and carry more current

/ 240v wire to barn size? #5  
Whatever you do put it in conduit, if you live long enough you will be glad you did whenever you have trouble if not your boys or whoever comes along behind you will appreciate it.

/ 240v wire to barn size? #6  
I think I know answer, but appreciate input/ideas.
I'm running underground electric to a new barn from a garage. From panel to just inside barn is 130 ft. From panel to across barn other side is 200 ft.
Neighbor has lots of Square D boxes, etc. I can have. (His electrician Dad passed).
Barn will just have lights (maybe 6-7...so 420 watts max) 10 outlets (1500 watts max), so 25 amps max.
I thought I'd put a 50 amp breaker in garage box, run 8-2 uf wire out to a small panel box in barn. I don't need 240...but it's there and I can split it (2x120v).
I prefer copper...but I'm trying to save money. It would look and be better in conduit to other end...but shorter run means smaller gauge (200ft run=6-2 or maybe 4-2 wire?).
Thanks...ideas.
Are you sure this will be enough amps for future use? I would go bigger just incase for later down the rd

/ 240v wire to barn size?
It's very close the the garage, where I can weld, etc. I can't see where I'd need more current. Thanks all advice! 20190527_161531.jpg

/ 240v wire to barn size? #8  
2x what you think you need.

/ 240v wire to barn size? #9  
Ampacity Charts - Cerrowire

Aluminum 4 or 6 g will work. Conduit would be nice.

I ordered from Wire and Cable To Go. Cheaper than my wholesaler for the aluminum wire.

/ 240v wire to barn size?
I ordered 2-2-2-4 Aluminum Mobile Home Feeder Cable 200ft $208 with shipping. I think that should work fine.