2012 F-350 - First Impressions

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
I thought I'd start a thread about my new 2012 F-350 and being new to the Super Duty line I'll probably have some views and opinions that many long time Super Duty owners don't. I also thought I would comment on all the creature comforts in the truck and what I like or dislike about them so maybe that will help someone else decide.

I'd be interested in hearing your comments about the various options.

So I'm starting this thread with about 240 miles on the truck. so not much time behind the wheel as yet, but enough to know there are some things that strike me as could be better that you don't always notice when you are shopping or on a test drive.

First one is the shape of the steering wheel rim. It's not round, but a tear shape, the rim that is. The wheel itself overall is round yes, but the rim where you grab with your hand is not round. I find it not as comfortable as a round profile. My 94 Lightning had the most comfortable factory steering wheel I think of any vehicle I have owned (22 in the past 38 years).

Also, the placement and orientation of the controls for the cruise control (on the left spoke) and the radio (on the right) are a little awkward. I think if the spoke were flat in the are with the buttons in stead of sloping in toward the center the controls would be easier to operate. The way it is now you have to move you hand from a normal grip to reach the inner most buttons. Others my be OK with it but I don't like it.

The information center in the dash. Not much happening here. With all the various bits of data that one might want to monitor and the gauge page only has the oil and the tranny temp displayed, and this is information that duplicates the peanut gauges directly above. Waste of technology. I should be able to choose stuff like fuel rail pressure; battery voltage; oil pressure; intake air temp. exhaust temp and maybe a dozen other parameters and there is room to display at least four data points with descriptions but the roughly 3x4" display only shows TWO and you can't change them. What's up with that? Same goes for the big display screen on the nav system. You should be able to build yourself a virtual dashboard with whatever gauges you want, but there is nothing anywhere like that on the system.

I've got more but I'll put them in the next post.

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #2  
I can not comment on the creature comforts so much. I did have the opportunity to used a Super Cab 4x4 2012 F-250 back 3 months ago. It was Cloth with Carpet and Floor Shift 4x4. We used it to take a 15,000# boat on a tri-axle trailer 800 miles. Most was though the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee. I was impressed with the tranny and power. It had more power factory than my 06 F-350 had with some mods. That tranny was seamless and by far the best I had used and that was the agreement of the two other guys who accompanied us on this trip. One guy had a 08 Dmax and he was highly impressed. The other guy had a Yukon and no previous diesel experience.

Chris

Last edited:
   / 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #3  
I've never heard of the tear drop shaped rim. Would you mind posting a picture?

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #4  
I have a 2011 F-250 Lariat w/ the 6.7L diesel. Did you get the diesel? I've had mine for about 15 months now. I love the truck but I'm still apprehensive of the reliability. To many things controlled by electronics and sensors. One little bitty sensor fails and the truck is shut down. If you really want to be nervous check out the Ford truck enthusiasts forum....the section related to the new 6.7L. The biggest gripe I have with mine is the door/window rattle. There is a door seal modification that may cure the issue, I just haven't taken the time to try it.

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #5  
The biggest gripe I have with mine is the door/window rattle. There is a door seal modification that may cure the issue, I just haven't taken the time to try it.

G-Lee I'am guessing yours is a crew cab. Mine CC has that minor noise your talking about put my rear child restraint locks on haven't heard it since.

Boone

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #6  
G-Lee I'am guessing yours is a crew cab. Mine CC has that minor noise your talking about put my rear child restraint locks on haven't heard it since.

Boone

No, I have the super cab otherwise known as extended cab. It seems the driver's window makes the most noise because if I crack the window its less apparent. These new trucks have a lot of flex in the cab causing the "creaks" to be more noticeable. I hear it mostly on my dirt road, not so much on the highway.

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions
I a sure I have done poor job of describing the shape, but yes I will try to get a photo which shows what I am talking about.

Yes, the motor and tranny are excellent, smooth shifting and loads of power. No complaints there.

The creaks and groans, well I dont have those yet, time will tell.

Most of my gripes, and they are minor, are about the high tech options and howmthey could and should be so much more than they are. I just see the interface as less capable than it should be, and don't understand why some things seem half-baked.

Yes, i got the diesel and its a supercab

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #8  
Wish you well with the new truck. :thumbsup:
I like the way they look, and I like the way they run. (drove one that belongs to a buddy) I still have a '97 F-250 and a '03 F-350. Both have the 7.3. They are not for sale or trade. I refuse to buy a 6.0 or 6.4 L. I know that most of them have been good, but a few bad apples is enough to keep me away. Time will tell for the 6.7, but so far, I've heard nothing but good.

I can't speak for everyone, but I would appreciate it if you would update this thread from time to time and keep us informed.

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #9  
Glad to see some honest opinions. I would love to hear real world mpg's once it's broken in.
Also, you may not want to read the Ford truck enthusiasts website. The problems related to these diesels will haunt you...
I see from this picture the tear drop steering wheel. Doesn't look to bad but it probably feels completely different in person.
2012-Ford-F350-Super-Duty-Interior.jpg

/ 2012 F-350 - First Impressions #10  
Nice truck, one thing I will recommend to you, and to anyone running a newer commonrail diesel engine is: More/better fuel filtration. The best fuel filtration is absolutely critical on HPCR diesel engines with fuel pressures approaching 30,000psi, if you want your injectors and pumps to last. I'm not really familiar with specifics of the the Scorpion as far as the stock filtration, but I have read quite a few HPFP disintegration stories due to 'less-than-perfect' fuel, leading to $10k+ repair bills that Ford will not cover under warranty. You probably should be running a 2 micron fuel filter and a fuel/water separator in addition to the stock filtration. This won't have any effect on your warranty, especially if you put the filters on the frame rail between the tank and engine. Good luck, hope you enjoy it.:thumbsup: