2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #142  
This would be the lift I would purchase. To change a tire very
easy to jack up one side at a time and no trouble to open a door
and don't have to mess with placing a padded arm to life vehicle
View attachment 855765

willy
That one looks a lot like the one I have. It was quite affordable.

Said not to have it outdoors, but that's where mine's been for about seven years now. Of course, I do keep the motor and fluid container covered, not to get rain and snow in the motor, and to keep the UV from ruining the plastic container.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #143  
Lifting a vehicle on a drive on hoist is not as easy as you might think due to placement issues. And you will need to jack up 2 wheels at once (2 jacks) if you are going to rotate tires. You can do it but much easier on a 2 post lift.
As far as I can tell, it's only a matter of getting all four tires on the runners. Which should be quite easy.

Not sure why anyone would use a 4-post for tire rotations, though. For that task I prefer using regular jacks, with the vehicle on the floor.

Of course, on a vehicle with live axles it could be done by using the near mandatory tall 2-post stands and do one side or axle at a time.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #144  
As far as I can tell, it's only a matter of getting all four tires on the runners. Which should be quite easy.

Not sure why anyone would use a 4-post for tire rotations, though. For that task I prefer using regular jacks, with the vehicle on the floor.

Of course, on a vehicle with live axles it could be done by using the near mandatory tall 2-post stands and do one side or axle at a time.
The only think is you don't see the runners while driving on especially in a truck, the up ramp make you loose all line of site, it's not hard by any means but it can be scary at first, its best to have a spotter the first few time someone dose it or really taken your time.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #145  
Maybe it's many years of four wheeling that makes me confident in driving up on something that's five inches tall, in a straight line.

If approaching the lift in a reasonably straight fashion, once the mirrors are at equal distances between the first two posts it'd almost be hard to screw it up, I think.

And it's obvious when the rear tires have made it up on the runners, which is as far as the vehicle needs to go. Although, I generally center the vehicles, just because.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #146  
The only think is you don't see the runners while driving on especially in a truck, the up ramp make you loose all line of site, it's not hard by any means but it can be scary at first, its best to have a spotter the first few time someone dose it or really taken your time.
You can put a plastic mirror sheet on the wall and see the ramps and tires..

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #147  
Maybe it's many years of four wheeling that makes me confident in driving up on something that's five inches tall, in a straight line.

If approaching the lift in a reasonably straight fashion, once the mirrors are at equal distances between the first two posts it'd almost be hard to screw it up, I think.

And it's obvious when the rear tires have made it up on the runners, which is as far as the vehicle needs to go. Although, I generally center the vehicles, just because.
for sure, just saying it can be for some, I haven't personally driven a vehicle on 4 post lift since I was 16 but I remember being sketch out by it back then especially the first few times and of course their is these video of idiots falling down from some.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #148  
Or, since people seem to really like backup cameras, back the vehicle up on the lift.

Just don't forget to make sure that the mirrors will clear the posts.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #149  
for sure, just saying it can be for some, I haven't personally driven a vehicle on 4 post lift since I was 16 but I remember being sketch out by it back then especially the first few times and of course their is these video of idiots falling down from some.
I can't remember if it was with the JD Gator or the Daihatsu HiJet, but I did drive off one runner with one wheel in one of them.

That can happen when the vehicle is so narrow that only about two inches of tire is on the runners.

So I backed up and recentered. Done.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #150  
The bathroom would depend on whether you are going to work on other people's car and if you want them using the same bathroom or if you would rather have half a bathroom for them and a larger one for you with a shower. Now as far as the lift if you are only looking to have one lift I would go 4post. The disadvantage with the two posts is getting in and out of the vehicle/ opening the door as the post is in the way sometimes you need to drive the car on a 2x6 to pre-lift the car depending on the ground clearance to fit the lift point underneath ... the main disadvantage of the 4 posts is to work on the wheels assembly you need to jack the vehicle independently but you can get a roller jack or even two rollers. Depending on if you are only working on a car & truck.
I am going with a 4-post because I want to be able to work on my car, truck, ATV, and even my Tractor and I don't believe you will be able to lift a tractor with a two-post.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT