Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #111  
One of many anymore. Been going on for years. Some just dont want to admit it.

rks.jpg
rksss.jpg

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #112  
RK also sells Huskys and Echo too. Just depends on which RK your at.

h395rk.jpg

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #113  
One of many anymore. Been going on for years. Some just dont want to admit it.
To me that is different than just having Stihl saws out on a shelf with Husky, Echo, etc and a customer can just drop a boxed one in a cart and go check out. No service man, not carrying a full line, not support at all, just grab and go. Which is basically what HD and Lowe's are.

Last edited:
   / Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #114  
Its my understanding that the only way a "box store" can sell Stihl is that they have a Stihl trained service center. It used to be that same way with the pro Husqvarna stuff but now Im seeing them in the big box stores too along side their Poulan rebranded junk.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #115  
You think maybe with all the JD dealers being consolidated maybe they are just keeping up appearences with the Stihl equipment?

Something to bring customers in the door and maybe they will see something on the lot that might get their interest?
When dealing with mega buck tractors, I suspect lowly chainsaws are just a value added item at best.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #116  
To me that is different than just having Stihl saws out on a shelf with Husky, Echo, etc and a customer can just drop a boxed one in a cart and go check out. No service man, not carrying a full line, not support at all, just grab and go. Which is basically what HD and Lowe's are.
You got that and no reading ther owners manual either which leads to straight gassing and no warranty claim. Straight gassing a saw, it might last 20 seconds or so and then it's junk. They go like a raped ape for that 20 and then are junk. The 'duh' owners bring them in with the old worn out comment... it won't start. really?? Heck, I'm surprised they even turn over... Must be a Gorilla on the pull start...lol

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #117  
No Stihl or Husky chainsaws at our nearest Home Depot, just Echo. We have a local lawnmower place that sell Stihl products, they know their stuff and fix them also. Our John Deere dealers sells them too but don’t ever seem to enthusiastic about it.
In reality repairing any chainsaw is pretty easy. No valves, no camshaft no crankcase to deal with. Simple piston port combustion with a mag and a plug and we don't do anything but replace parts with new ones anyway. All that fancy porting and squish area's and all that we don't do and don't want to do either. The average saw is like a rock in reality. I play with my own saws but they are mine. I never play with a customer's saw.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #118  
In summation, if I was the OP of this thread, I'd take a hard look at what dealers are nearby and buy from them and not a box store. I'm not brand loyal in reality, just what works in the OP's case.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #119  
In reality repairing any chainsaw is pretty easy. No valves, no camshaft no crankcase to deal with. Simple piston port combustion with a mag and a plug and we don't do anything but replace parts with new ones anyway. All that fancy porting and squish area's and all that we don't do and don't want to do either. The average saw is like a rock in reality. I play with my own saws but they are mine. I never play with a customer's saw.
Time marches on. I was in my Stihl dealer shop today for filters and they don't have a new MS261 like mine, only the MS261 C-M which has a microprocessor controlled fuel system. It has no carb adjustments. I looked at the Stihl website and the regular MS261 is now shown as "Not Available".

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #120  
Time marches on. I was in my Stihl dealer shop today for filters and they don't have a new MS261 like mine, only the MS261 C-M which has a microprocessor controlled fuel system. It has no carb adjustments. I looked at the Stihl website and the regular MS261 is now shown as "Not Available".
And I bet that MS261-CM is $40 more than it was before Jan. 1, 2024.