Mice got me!

/ Mice got me! #41  
There’s only one thing more effective than a cat for rodent control.

…. 2 cats…..

/ Mice got me! #42  
Not trying to hijack but less than a year old 3/4 ton gmc I was hauling old bales of hay. A week later AC was struggling, Mice decided to make a nest in cabin air filter. Ended up pulling apart all floor lining, and entire dash to rid myself of them. According to a GM shop they probably got in on sides of intake to cabin air filter so I put this mesh on both sides and below that is copper based steel wool 5 yrs later no more unwanted passengers.

Attachments

• KIMG0847.JPG
    KIMG0847.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
   / Mice got me! #43  
We have an antique shop here on the farm. Have had to deal with mice for years, (making nests in drawers, ruining upholstered furniture, etc.) One day a feral cat showed up and we started to feed her. After a couple weeks we trapped her and took her to the humane society to have her fixed a little too late. Now we have four cats (all fixed) strolling around the farm. haven't seen a mouse or snake in a couple of years.

/ Mice got me! #44  
We have outside cats that patrol. We feed them wet food in a caged in area they can climb. As long as they can climb something to escape and sleep, we have been lucky. Our toms(neutered) are 14lbs too. They hunt for fun and routinely gift us.

/ Mice got me! #46  
We have an antique shop here on the farm. Have had to deal with mice for years, (making nests in drawers, ruining upholstered furniture, etc.) One day a feral cat showed up and we started to feed her. After a couple weeks we trapped her and took her to the humane society to have her fixed a little too late. Now we have four cats (all fixed) strolling around the farm. haven't seen a mouse or snake in a couple of years.
I wish there were more ferrel cats, specifically by my cabin in the middle of nowhere.

/ Mice got me! #47  
I have a neighbor cat that helps with the population and I placed bags of mothballs under the hoods and by the wiring harness. This was the first year I didn’t have any nests.

/ Mice got me! #48  
There are a lot more rodent deterrents out there these days, but before I hired a professional pest controller (mainly for termites, carpenter ants, wasps, but rodent control is included in the maintenance fee), I used mothballs scattered under the vehicles and tractor with a few left on top of the tires, which I understand is how they get into the engine bay and other areas.

During the cold weather, I keep my Mahindra 5035 in an attached garage which is heated (never goes below 45) for easy starts. It is sealed to the outside elements, which is another benefit that seems to be a good deterrent for rodent invasion as in the 11 years I've owned my tractor, I have never had any mice issues. (knock on wood!)
The detached garage seems to allow easy access to rodents... Even with the pro pest service, I still throw some mothballs under the two automobiles that are stored out there during the winter. Cheap insurance. :)

Of course, having to keep your tractor(s) outside is a difficult scenario and mothballs would probably not last as long in the elements (they last all winter in the detached garage)... perhaps put them in nooks and crannies inside the bodywork and frame of the tractor... just a thought.

Good luck with your repairs and the ongoing rodent control.
ng

/ Mice got me! #49  
Haha! PJohnson and I are on the same wavelength this morning! He posted his suggestion on mothballs while I was typing mine.. ;)

We used to have a lot of neighborhood cats but the general consensus is that either fox or fishercats have taken them out... :(

/ Mice got me! #50  
So, my trusty 2015 T4.95 developed a fuel leak on top of the engine. That is covered by the exhaust system. Well, took to my dealer and they took it all apart. Mice built a nest and chewed through the fuel return line. Ugh. Probably the "best" case scenario but still requires several hours of service time to remove parts to get at it and then another several to replace / put back together. I bet the mice will cost me $1500....
Just got my son for $650.00 on his JD 3520. He replaced the battery and tried to start it. Smoke went everywhere. He was not happy thinking he had messed up. Turned out to be mice chewing on the wiring harness. I think he got off cheap.