Mice got me!

/ Mice got me! #31  
Yep it seems like when I think I've got the problem under control I relax baiting and they are back. Sometimes worse than others The scent of dead mice also is supposed to keep them away so I leave some of the corpses around the perimeter. I can say for certain dryer sheets don't work neither does a bar of Irish spring and most ultrasonic plugins I've tried.
The only solution is dead mice. I have had success with leaving the hoods open. They want to hide in dark places. Still, I rebait the stations monthly.

/ Mice got me! #32  
My B7800 currently is without fuel, temperature and idiot lights thanks to a mouse nest in the dash. It looks like the mouse waste corroded the contacts of what looks like a control box....but I need to set aside a few hours to pull the dash apart, clean it up, and see if I can fix it or if I need some new parts. Thankfully, it still runs well, and the tach still works (since it is a mechanical cable).

I did put a mouse trap on the engine afterwards, and got one little bastard trying to re-establish the mouse house.

/ Mice got me! #33  
Don't use traps or poison, have a cat that keeps most rodents away, go through most equipment with a backpack leaf blower once a week which takes care of most would be nests, clearing dust and debris keeps equipment running cooler.

/ Mice got me! #34  
So, my trusty 2015 T4.95 developed a fuel leak on top of the engine. That is covered by the exhaust system. Well, took to my dealer and they took it all apart. Mice built a nest and chewed through the fuel return line. Ugh. Probably the "best" case scenario but still requires several hours of service time to remove parts to get at it and then another several to replace / put back together. I bet the mice will cost me $1500....
This happened to my 2014 LS P7010C not too long after I bought it. Had it parked outside at the time.

Chewed one of the injector return lines. Dealer found the part. It was the entire return manifold, about $580 at the time. Went to parts house, got some FI fuel line and clamps, fixed it for <$10. Then set traps. Was a foot long wood rat.

I have a Komatsu excavator that was parked outside for a while. Chewed half of the wiring harness up. It is a cobbled mess now, but works.

CT

/ Mice got me! #35  
Mini-excavator - wiring - squirrels. Wife assisted while I spliced 11 wires chewed through in 2 weeks since last run. Packed joystick area, wiring path through armrests with mothballs along with fuse area. Problem has been resolved going on 9 years now, but that's an open platform where the open air takes the odor away from operator. Tried Fresh Cab and Grandpa Gus in tractor cabs but mice still got in them. They actually chewed through the Grandpa Gus sacks. I still use Fresh Cab and add fresh bags monthly - that seems to work. Ultrasonic - got 4 of them in my garage where the squirrels play. Try to keep them out - the best solution - but they chew through the rubber seals at the bottom of the overhead doors.

/ Mice got me! #36  
A fuel line isn't too bad. It's worse when they gnaw thru a wire-harnesses.

If you store the machine out of the weather, try these. I've had no more mice issues since.

View attachment 742901

Anyone know how these impact a dog? My tractor and old car are in the barn. Dog walks thru as well. Will he "hear" it?

/ Mice got me! #37  
So, my trusty 2015 T4.95 developed a fuel leak on top of the engine. That is covered by the exhaust system. Well, took to my dealer and they took it all apart. Mice built a nest and chewed through the fuel return line. Ugh. Probably the "best" case scenario but still requires several hours of service time to remove parts to get at it and then another several to replace / put back together. I bet the mice will cost me $1500....
We bought a one year old Toyota Sienna, a dealer car. Brought it one. Drove 50 miles. Several lights lit up in dash. Next morning took it back to Toyota dealer. Serviceman called a few hours later. Rat or squirrel chewed through electric lines. New loom installed $650. We had not one but three warrantees. Not covered because rodent and farm it damage is not covered! Yes, true. Look at your own policies. We were able to negotiate down about half.

/ Mice got me! #38  
I love to see cat hairs on my tractor seat and side by side seats. So far it seems my 3 cats are keeping rodents away.

/ Mice got me! #39  
For us, cats do the job. We've had cats go after rats and groundhogs and fight off foxes and hawks. I have never had mouse issues in the barn. (Knock on wood.)

I have a car that sits outside about 300 feet from the barn and occasionally, I get wires chewed on, but nothing to the tractor or riding mower that are stored in the barn..

If we let neighbors or family know that we need some new barn cats, it's not a problem to get some new ones. We've gotten them from local rescues too. We get them fixed and we give them shots and generally take care of them, since they take care of us. We have three in the barn Darla, the oldest is like 10 or 12 years old now. We average ~15 years for a cat that stays in the barn. Sometimes they don't like to stay and seek shelter elsewhere. We have one that stays in the barn only in the winter.

It's a natural solution.

We have a sonic unit in the barn and that didn't do much. Pellets work but I have to keep them from the cats.

Attachments

• IMG_1318[1].jpg
    IMG_1318[1].jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 87
   / Mice got me! #40  
I wished I could use that solution. I’ve tried many times but coyotes and owls get them all.
Keep trying. Either your will get one tough cat or you will just keep feeding the coyote and owl population.