Bar oil quality

/ Bar oil quality #41  
I've used Stihl oil with Stihl saws for 40 years. Never any problems.

/ Bar oil quality #42  
When people say what they have been using is somewhat useless to be honest. I could say I’ve been using honey in mine with good luck that doesn’t mean you should use it. Me personally a gallon of bar oil last me quite a while.

/ Bar oil quality #43  
Generally I always use motor oil unless I make the odd garage sale find for bar oil.
I am convinced that periodic chain 'touch ups' are the key to long chain and bar life, that and periodic dressing the bar with a single cut file.
Also proper chain tension is critical.

/ Bar oil quality #44  
When using motor oil, consider: most cars never run at as high rpm as chain saws. Is bar oil rated for higher rpm?

/ Bar oil quality #45  
When using motor oil, consider: most cars never run at as high rpm as chain saws. Is bar oil rated for higher rpm?

It’s only lubricating the chain sliding across the bar. I’m sure it fulfills the job but it’s nasty and definitely not worth the mess to save $6 a gallon IMO. Used hydraulic oil on the other hand I’d have no problem using.

/ Bar oil quality #46  
It’s only lubricating the chain sliding across the bar. I’m sure it fulfills the job but it’s nasty and definitely not worth the mess to save $6 a gallon IMO. Used hydraulic oil on the other hand I’d have no problem using.
I have a lot of used hydraulic oil. Maybe if I mix with bar oil I will get an improved flow.

/ Bar oil quality #47  
I have a lot of used hydraulic oil. Maybe if I mix with bar oil I will get an improved flow.

I’ve used hydraulic oil before and it seems to work fine.

/ Bar oil quality #48  
At Walmart, their gallon of bar oil is $12.73.

/ Bar oil quality #49  
Some newer saws put out less oil than the old ones did. So they need better bar oil. Dedicated bar oil has tackifiers to make it stick to the bar better.

I've seen arguments that some of the bar oil gets sprayed out in fine droplets by the chain and the operator breathes some. That's one of the reasons for using vegetable oil. And a good reason to not run used motor oil with it's carcinogens. Also dirty used oil makes a mess of the saw.

Another advantage to vegetable oil is that is breaks down in the environment better than mineral based oils. If it wasn't for the problem of vegetable based oil gumming up the chain and oil system if it's left in the saw for too long I'd try it.
I'm using straight canola oil now. If you use your chainsaw a lot no problem. if you let it sit for a long time the chain and end sprocket gets all gummy. A little brake cleaner gets everything freed up.

If it makes you happy put a little food colouring in the oil and give your wife an extra $20 each time she picks up some oil for you at the grocery store.

/ Bar oil quality #50  
The chainsaw engine is turning a lot of rpm’s but I doubt the bar and chain is turning faster than a car engine.