Buying Advice Looking for a tractor

/ Looking for a tractor #21  
Don’t think so as he put 40 acres in both his profile as well as in the post. That would be 2 fat finger mistakes.

But - no doubt really meaning to mow 40 acres a week is crazy talk.

MoKelly
I certainly thought the same as you, he wants to mow the same 40 acres each week. But then knowing how some people often don't provide enough details, the OP could be referring to a mowing goal of 40 acres per week, and mowing a total 160 acres (quarter section) every month.

/ Looking for a tractor #22  
Don’t think so as he put 40 acres in both his profile as well as in the post. That would be 2 fat finger mistakes.

But - no doubt really meaning to mow 40 acres a week is crazy talk.

MoKelly
Depends... if it is his 40 acres and he wants to mow it every week, that is crazy.
If it is his employer's 40 acres and he gets paid by the hour, it is genius.
I could see where Jeff's mowing calculator would come in real handy! :unsure:

/ Looking for a tractor #23  
Jeff, l don’t agree with your price for a 70 HP tractor at 70,000 unless you are talking about new. I bought a JD 5425, 81 HP tractor, cab, loader for $39900 about 3 months age with 1954 hours.

/ Looking for a tractor #24  
My $70,000 includes the 144" mower.

You are in Arkansas, like Florida a low cost state for compact tractors.

So far, the OP's location is unknown.

Good strike. Others may not share your good fortune.

/ Looking for a tractor #25  
Hope the OP is OK. But evidently has not seen any of the great replies to his post.

Profile.JPG

/ Looking for a tractor #26  
Yeah, a couple others thought this seemed a bit fishy. It is also possible that he went ahead and bought what he was already thinking of buying when he posted to ask for recommendations. Wouldn't be the first that happened. 😁

Maybe he's just been busy and will come back.

/ Looking for a tractor #27  
mow 40 acres??? I dont know that I would bother with that, reseed into hay field, or let a farmer rent your field and do the work. If you reseed into hay field you could sell the crop...

/ Looking for a tractor #28  
Everyone's assuming agricultural land. Could it be playing fields, parkland, airport or something where the grass needs to be kept short?

/ Looking for a tractor #29  
Looking for a good used tractor to mow 40 acres once a week. I'm new to tractors so help help help. I hear I need a diesel, four wheel drive front end loader and mower. I don't need something that is going to break down and I also need a tractor 101 education so I can care for it properly, operate it safely, etc.
Depending on your location, look for a local farmer/rancher to lease it and grow crops, make hay, or run cattle. The cost of fencing it could be a lot less than buying a tractor. You may also be able to get a farm deferral on property taxes. I've turned some of my acreage into hay pasture and a local family comes and cuts it, bales it, takes the hay in return for the work. None of my time spent cutting it.

/ Looking for a tractor #30  
Looking for a good used tractor to mow 40 acres once a week. I'm new to tractors so help help help. I hear I need a diesel, four wheel drive front end loader and mower. I don't need something that is going to break down and I also need a tractor 101 education so I can care for it properly, operate it safely, etc.
Oh my, I agree with Deezler. Mowing 40 acres once a week means a REALLY big mower, or you're going to spend your whole weekend mowing.
1) you'll want a tow-behind mower for that size if you don't want to spend the entire weekend doing it.
2) do you really need a loader for it? That's going to up your expense quite a lot. A quality used tractor that can tow a mower AND do loader work is likely to be much more expensive than a tractor that just has to tow (old-style farming tractor). Your tow behind mower is going to run thousands by itself ($10k plus depending upon size and used vs new)

3) I'd consider getting a flail mower or batwing for that kind of job.
A woods BW12 will run you $12k+.

4) spec out your mower first, that'll tell you how much of a tractor you need.

If you're mowing once every couple months, you might opt for a smaller, less expensive mower and just taking longer to mow, so you can get a smaller less expensive tractor, since you aren't worried about consuming the whole weekend.