Shopping for a GC1723E

/ Shopping for a GC1723E #1  

tibadoe

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC1723EB Ramrod 915 TM Toro 314-8
I'm in the market for a new sub compact tractor. This will mainly be used for lawn mowing, but I have a few attachments in mind that will make life easier. This will be my first tractor purchase.

After researching online for a few months, I'm heading down to my local Massey Ferguson dealer early next week. I did call them and they said to come down, look around, and test out some equipment. They have 5 locations with plenty of tractors & accessories on all their lots, so having what I want in stock is looking pretty good.

The GC1723E is more than I need and is on top of my list. Planning on adding the loader and mid mower deck on initial purchase. I like the extras of the 1725M model but I cannot see paying $1500 extra for 2 more HP and minor extras. I want the light guards, rear work light, cigarette lighter port, and arm rests, but I can probably add them myself for lots cheaper.

Anyway, any comments (good or bad) about this specific tractor pass it on.

/ Shopping for a GC1723E #2  
Wow a member from 2013 and only 2 posts. I had the wheelhorse/Toto 314H, I really liked that tractor. I really miss the snowblower it had.

For my Massey it was easier to move the rops lights to the inside. I just have too many trees that might take one off. I got that idea in this forum. I also added the power socket. I love this tractor so far it has done what I wanted it to. I just haven’t taken it out in the snow yet. I also couldn’t justify the extra cost for the 1725m. Diesel torque is way more than a gas engine. My dealer let me try this tractor on some hills and slopes. I got some really good LED lighting on eBay and added better lighting for the front an I added some lighting to the rear as well.

/ Shopping for a GC1723E #3  
I can honestly say after 15 years with a GC, that I have never once considered using armrests, or that they were needed.
You can install better LED lighting than what comes with the tractor.
That extra 2hp won't really make that much difference, the 23hp is well suited for its weight.
If getting the FEL, to use it safely, also purchase a suitable counterweight, either a weight box or boxblade. A rear scraper blade doesn't weigh enough to be adequate. A FEL and boxblade give you the tools to contour the ground. Going to a wider mower, you will usually find spots that get scalped.
Turf tires.

/ Shopping for a GC1723E #4  
The guards for the rear lights would not be difficult to fabricate. I also just flipped my lights around to the inside of the rops to keep them safe. Any additional lights back there will be magnetic mount.
I am still researching adding the 12v port to my 1723e.
I can’t comment on the extra 2 hp of the 1725, I just got my tractor and have only used the FEL so far. I did pick up a set of lightweight pallet forks from a local shop. 265 lbs, 42” long, no upper guard frame. I have used the forks the most so far. (No snow yet)
Have you decided between the 54” decks or the 60” deck yet? I would normally suggest the largest deck feasible for your yard. The GC is really nimble, though. Very good turn radius for a scut.

/ Shopping for a GC1723E #5  
I love my 1720, arm rests are rarely used. Added my own lighter socket and upgraded and added LEDs. So far the guards have kept my lights attached.
If you are going in the woods, get a skid plate.
Forks are extremely useful.

is your land flat or hilly?
Will you use the tractor in the woods or in brush?

Have fun shopping.

/ Shopping for a GC1723E
Wow a member from 2013 and only 2 posts. I had the wheelhorse/Toto 314H, I really liked that tractor. I really miss the snowblower it had.

For my Massey it was easier to move the rops lights to the inside. I just have too many trees that might take one off. I got that idea in this forum. I also added the power socket..........

Thanks for the input. I couldn't believe when I posted last night that I only had one post since I created my account. Been checking out the site here and there but really didn't have a need to post. My WheelHorse 314 is still going strong after I bought it new over 20 years ago with 550 hours on it. Not 1 issue and 100% reliable. Regular oil changes and a new battery every 5 years. All origional belts also - but I will be replacing them soon to be on the safe side. This past Spring I did put new tires all the way around. But now I need (want) a tractor that can do some more of my manual type of work - I'm getting old I think. Putting the lights on the inside is a good idea. As far as adding the power socket - is it prewired plug n play?

/ Shopping for a GC1723E
.........If getting the FEL, to use it safely, also purchase a suitable counterweight, either a weight box or boxblade. A rear scraper blade doesn't weigh enough to be adequate. A FEL and boxblade give you the tools to contour the ground. Going to a wider mower, you will usually find spots that get scalped.
Turf tires.

That's a good idea about the boxblade as a counter weight. A boxblade was on my list along with: Front and/or rear scraper blade, auger, small brush cut mower. Looks like the boxblade will be moved up to the top of my list.

Thanks for your input.

/ Shopping for a GC1723E
.........Have you decided between the 54” decks or the 60” deck yet? I would normally suggest the largest deck feasible for your yard. The GC is really nimble, though. Very good turn radius for a scut.

I only have about 1 acre out of 3 that I mow. Kind of designed my lawn to be done with a 48" (since that is what I always used) but I can widen a few strips like on each side of driveway to accommodate. So I can really go with either the 54" or 60" mower deck. If the 54" is too narrow and does not stick out enough from the tractor on either side, I will most likely go with the 60". Don't want to get it done too quick since I like mowing! :) I usually go over my lawn twice in opposite directions to maximize lawn striping.

/ Shopping for a GC1723E
I love my 1720, arm rests are rarely used. Added my own lighter socket and upgraded and added LEDs. So far the guards have kept my lights attached.

Looks like the consensus is the arm rests are not really needed. As far as the lighter socket - was it plug n play? Does it plug into the wiring harness? So you added the guards and kept the lights on the outside?

If you are going in the woods, get a skid plate.

Now is the skit plate easy to take on and off? Dealer or aftermarket item?

Forks are extremely useful.

Got forks on my skidsteer which I agree comes in very handy.

is your land flat or hilly?

My land is fairly level. From side to side it is 200' wide with a gradual 3' slope from one side to the other. Front to back is 660' which is fairly level with excepting of front acre has a natural drainage dip from side to side for water runoff from both sides of road uphill from me.

Will you use the tractor in the woods or in brush?

Mainly mowing and driveway work. But I am thinning out the woods making it easier to rough cut through it if necessary.

/ Shopping for a GC1723E
Am I able to download a owners manual for the 1723e? I looked around their website but no luck.