Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #351  
I use a kerosene pump, the cheap, bulb type you get at the hardware for $5, to siphon out fuel. Works great and is quick.

Chris

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
Dang, I just read my last post.... Sorry for all the grammar error..... I will blame it on my Iphone virtual keyboard....

No Worries...... anytime I need a chuckle, I look up those "Darn You Auto-Correct" listings, for some pretty hilarious stuff....

Can't remember if it was this thread on not, but I think it was Gary Fowler that was talking about draining some not-that-old gas out of something and trying to start a burn pile with it - an open flame wouldn't get it to do much at all.

So..... you might want to take it easy dumping that old stuff into the family wheels all at once..... if your relationship with Murphy is like mine, you'll be back in the air about the same time the wife is finding out that the (gas) van is running like a cold diesel at -40C :D !

For metal gas tanks on things-that-I-store, Stabil 360 Protection is my goto product these days. I need to pick up some more, on my next USA parts run... as I haven't been able to find it up here yet.

STA-BIL 360 Protection

Rgds, D.

I use a kerosene pump, the cheap, bulb type you get at the hardware for $5, to siphon out fuel. Works great and is quick.

Chris

Trust a boat guy to know how to move fuel around efficiently :thumbsup: .

Good Tip - something else to add to my Where Did I Put That ? in the garage list, before I need it.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #354  
Howdy,
Keeping things serviced makes a big difference. I know the time keeps passing... but, my Honda EX4500 which was purchased in 1987, is still running great.

The Honda EX4500 is a fully enclosed unit which is silent running.
012.JPG

Simply keeping the gas rotated, oil changed, spark plug, valve timing, air filter, battery changed and trickle charged. And running it occasionally under load. I can't believe the thing is 27 years old...:confused2:

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #355  
^^^ You take remarkable care of your equipment...

Good equipment still needs proper care and by the looks of you generator... it will be around long after we are gone.

Howdy,
Keeping things serviced makes a big difference. I know the time keeps passing... but, my Honda EX4500 which was purchased in 1987, is still running great.

The Honda EX4500 is a fully enclosed unit which is silent running.
View attachment 402773

Simply keeping the gas rotated, oil changed, spark plug, valve timing, air filter, battery changed and trickle charged. And running it occasionally under load. I can't believe the thing is 27 years old...:confused2:

Time does fly, don't it !

For personal use, generators should last a long time. The tough part for me was remembering to run it once in a while, but I've gotten better. :)

It doesn't hurt that you started with a great machine, but the maintenance always matters....... GRS had a couple of good examples in this thread of people installing full-auto systems, doing zero maintenance, then acting surprised when they don't start a couple of years later.

Nicely done Mike ! My small gen is a youngster in comparison, I bought it in '98 !

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #357  
my old Onan generator was purchased USED in 1993.... no hour meter on it. Still fires right up and runs great. Its modified to run on propane and it operates at 1,800 rpm. all cast iron to boot. its a beast.

i used it daily for 6 months to build my house ion 1996. never has had any issues. But i do yearly maint on it, keep a oil heater and battery maintainer on it. always gets fresh plugs and oil every year.

my old Onan generator was purchased USED in 1993.... no hour meter on it. Still fires right up and runs great. Its modified to run on propane and it operates at 1,800 rpm. all cast iron to boot. its a beast.

i used it daily for 6 months to build my house ion 1996. never has had any issues. But i do yearly maint on it, keep a oil heater and battery maintainer on it. always gets fresh plugs and oil every year.

I have been keeping used Onan RV gens in mind, "just in case" the right project comes along :D .

A well regarded line like that, pulled out of RV duty (often fairly low hours), can be a great deal. May need some TLC from sitting too much, but that's no different than most used gens.

Bonus marks for being already designed/built for Remote Start.

Any pics GRS ? I don't think we have any Onans up here yet.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #359  
I think I've posted my successful procedure before, but, at the chance of boring those who already read it:
1)Run generator as needed.
2)When finished, and electrically disconnected, but still running: shut off gasoline tank supply. As engine starts surge from lean fuel starve, partially close choke. Later engine stops.
3) During off season ( summer for me ), siphon tank dry. Put old gas in non critical engine like mower.
4) Before season, check and/or change crank oil. Add fresh gas at the last possible moment.

Been working absolutely perfectly this way for many, many moons. No weekly/monthly 'exercise' times needed.

I think I've posted my successful procedure before, but, at the chance of boring those who already read it:
1)Run generator as needed.
2)When finished, and electrically disconnected, but still running: shut off gasoline tank supply. As engine starts surge from lean fuel starve, partially close choke. Later engine stops.
3) During off season ( summer for me ), siphon tank dry. Put old gas in non critical engine like mower.
4) Before season, check and/or change crank oil. Add fresh gas at the last possible moment.

Been working absolutely perfectly this way for many, many moons. No weekly/monthly 'exercise' times needed.

Questions.... always with the questions..... ;)

E or Efree gas ?

What region of the continent do you buy your fuel in ?

Rgds, D.