You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,871  
I keep about 4 measuring tapes around so I can always find one...somewhere.
When I'm doing a carpentry project outside my shop where I'm going back & forth, doesn't take long for all the tapes to be at one end or the other.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,873  
You know your old when you remember getting on an airplane and all the women wore dresses and the men were in suits.
I don't miss those days at all. In the 70s I worked as a field service technician and it was pretty much the rule we had to wear a tie at least on the initial visit to a work site and if flying, on the plane. I hate wearing a tie. Most useless garment ever invented. Jeans were obviously not allowed, but I'd push the limit by wearing corduroy pants...same cut & style, just different fabric. Never got called out on it.
Some of my worksites also had IBM equipment, and I'd often see their techs. Felt sorry for them. Always a suit, white shirt, tie, wingtips. Even working on messy stuff like hydraulic actuators. Never once saw any of them chatting with or joking around with fellow techs or the customer's employees. Strictly business. Way too structured for me.
Fortunately, by the late 70s things got much more casual. Did I mention I hate wearing a tie? :ROFLMAO: Even though I'm mostly retired now, I still do some field repair work. If it's hot I'm wearing shorts. No one has ever complained.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,874  
I don't miss those days at all. In the 70s I worked as a field service technician and it was pretty much the rule we had to wear a tie at least on the initial visit to a work site and if flying, on the plane. I hate wearing a tie. Most useless garment ever invented. Jeans were obviously not allowed, but I'd push the limit by wearing corduroy pants...same cut & style, just different fabric. Never got called out on it.
Some of my worksites also had IBM equipment, and I'd often see their techs. Felt sorry for them. Always a suit, white shirt, tie, wingtips. Even working on messy stuff like hydraulic actuators. Never once saw any of them chatting with or joking around with fellow techs or the customer's employees. Strictly business. Way too structured for me.
Fortunately, by the late 70s things got much more casual. Did I mention I hate wearing a tie? :ROFLMAO: Even though I'm mostly retired now, I still do some field repair work. If it's hot I'm wearing shorts. No one has ever complained.
I hate ties with a passion.
Last time I had cause to wear one I didn't.
Niece's wedding my sister was insisting I put one on for pictures. I was wearing a suit with an open neck sport shirt. Nothing was going to change that.
I wore the hangman's noose enough years when I worked.

Which brings to mind a question.
It's impolite and downright rude to look at a woman's decolletage. Don't stare into the sun.
Yet even at work women wear outfits that expose some cleavage.
A man who has no such issue is expected to be buttoned up to the point of suffocation.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,875  
Just thinking about wearing "...a suit, white shirt, tie, wingtips" makes me miserable. I'm thinking about specifying that I be buried in a pocket tee shirt.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,876  
When I'm doing a carpentry project outside my shop where I'm going back & forth, doesn't take long for all the tapes to be at one end or the other.
I keep four in rotation, five if you count the one I try to keep by the second-floor chop saw. But I usually make a point of trying to wear one of them clipped to my front right pants pocket, for this very reason.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,877  
Same here. Don't think I've ever owned one, but I've put in quite a few sinks.
When I moved into this house, no two faucet handles faced proper 180-degrees when turned off. They were all clocked at weird angles 5 to 15 degrees off square, and I always wondered why they didn't just square them up properly when installing them, so they wouldn't look so goofy.

But now I think I know the answer... the guy didn't own a basin wrench! :p

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,878  
Could be in pet peeves but I have scrapped more than one cheap caulk gun in my lifetime ones that I still have around are hung up these days. Vertical wall storage to me anyway has become essential to find random seldom used stuff.
I like to use caulking guns that are a step up from the el cheapo versión.

Never fails someone asks to use and I have to go looking for it... several times the gun I got back was a no name without the built in blade and swing out tube puncture deviice.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#1,879  
Today is the home opener for the STL Cardinals.

Got me thinking.

First Cardinal World Series winner I remember was 1967. Cards v Red Sox.

Only 2 of the Cardinal starting players are still alive —- Orlando Cepeda and Dal Maxvill.

Now that makes me feel old.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,880  
Today is the home opener for the STL Cardinals.

Got me thinking.

First Cardinal World Series winner I remember was 1967. Cards v Red Sox.

Only 2 of the Cardinal starting players are still alive —- Orlando Cepeda and Dal Maxvill.

Now that makes me feel old.
The Cardinals bested the Sox that year unfortunately. Shoot.

Ck your pm's Mo. I sent you one.