You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,231  
My ancestry is 90% British, then Scottish and a little French. My Grandmother meals were a big deal, all these special dishes for different things as well as silverware everyday use. Cloth tablecloth and napkins. Breakfast at 7am, lunch noon, dinner 6pm...right on the dot.
Very prim & proper. The blessing, home made everything including dessert.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,232  
When I was growing up we had a different way our family had dinner.

Mother would cook she and my dad would sit down and eat then she would set 3 plates on the table put food in each plate then my brothers and I would eat. We never ate as a family.
The idea of everyone sitting at the table and passing food around was totally foreign to me.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,234  
When I was growing up we had a different way our family had dinner.

Mother would cook she and my dad would sit down and eat then she would set 3 plates on the table put food in each plate then my brothers and I would eat. We never ate as a family.
The idea of everyone sitting at the table and passing food around was totally foreign to me.
Of course, you boys ate like animals. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Joking.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,236  
My ancestry is 90% British, then Scottish and a little French. My Grandmother meals were a big deal, all these special dishes for different things as well as silverware everyday use. Cloth tablecloth and napkins. Breakfast at 7am, lunch noon, dinner 6pm...right on the dot.
Very prim & proper. The blessing, home made everything including dessert.
Beans on toast, bangers and mushy peas with brown sauce on everything?
Colors? Brown, off brown.
Only culinary saving grace I see there is possibly the "little French.":ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,237  
You're old when you start everything you say with, "I remember when..."
Talking about food I remember listening to one of the guys in the locker room bragging about his mom making Salisbury steak for dinner.
I had no idea it was just a hamburger patty smothered in gravy. To top it off his was a frozen dinner.
Hearing the word steak I just thought it was a way to cook a good cut of meat.
"Ooo, salisbury sounds fancy."
At the time I didn't realize how good I had it. Old man butchered our own baby beef (about a year old, grass fed) and Ma cooked every meal.
We ate the best cuts all the time including pork and free range chickens. Veggies fresh out of the garden. Fruit, fresh in season and canned and frozen year round.
Redneck? Hillbilly?
A little bit. But we ate like kings on the farm.
Hot dogs, frozen dinners, frozen frech fries/dinners were something poor city people ate.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,239  
I sure miss my Corelle but my new bride grew up with Fiesta so we she has been buying Fiesta for 40 years.

I think they are heavy, bulky and noisy, but that's what she wants so that's what we use.
Our daughters use Fiestaware. So for about 7 years on our travels to and from Pittsburgh we'd stop at the factory in Newell, WV.

Homer Laughlin China Company​

Pretty neat place. You can set up a factory tour if you want to. Gotta do it in advance.