You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,201  
Our old power washer dishwasher ate the edges of our Corelle dishes. 🫤 We still see our pattern in 2nd had stores.
Can I interest you in a pressure reducing valve? As it is you probably have no use for a pressure washer. :ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,202  
Do you guys remember being kids in the summer and after dinner the only rule was “to be home when the street lights came on”?
I would have had to walk 8 miles to find a streetlight and then not have enough daylight to make it back home. :cool:

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,203  
I have another - when you were kids what was your Dad’s “go to” punishment for bad behavior?
Most memorable -
We had a pair of Lombardy poplar trees about 60 foot apart about 30 foot from the kitchen.
My dad had saved some rocks (20 to 30lbs) from making a garden in the Vermont glacial till. Nice smooth surfaces. About 20 of them. He placed them at the base of one. For a few years when we were about 6yrs old to 10 a punishment was move the rocks from one tree base to the other.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,205  
Most memorable -
We had a pair of Lombardy poplar trees about 60 foot apart about 30 foot from the kitchen.
My dad had saved some rocks (20 to 30lbs) from making a garden in the Vermont glacial till. Nice smooth surfaces. About 20 of them. He placed them at the base of one. For a few years when we were about 6yrs old to 10 a punishment was move the rocks from one tree base to the other.
Must have been a military man to move rocks from one place to another. :)

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,206  
I have another - when you were kids what was your Dad’s “go to” punishment for bad behavior?

For us, we had to kneel down on the floor by the stairs. Hardwood floor.

Try that for 15 minutes!!

My kids had it easy —- time out in their bedroom.
Dad was the heavy artillery, he was only summoned on rare occasions. With his belt. But he could give us kids a look that would make us shiver.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,207  
Dad was the heavy artillery, he was only summoned on rare occasions. With his belt. But he could give us kids a look that would make us shiver.
Same here. On those rare occasions mom said, "wait for your father to come home," you knew you were in real trouble.

Mom did break a long wooden spoon on my rear, once. Those things hurt!

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,208  
I'm still running WIN7, and have had to help so many friends with trying to get rid of all the spyware and bloatware in WIN10 and WIN11, I will migrate to a distro of Linux before I install them on one of my machines.
I have a drive in my computer that I regularly image my C: drive to, just in case I have a failure or a crash.
Actually, I liked WIN XP after they got the bugs worked out of it. Smaller memory footprint and not so much of a resource hog. They just keep adding more features that no one needs or wants, but it keeps the programmers making big bucks.
I clung to Win 7 for longer than I really needed to, but my hand got forced a few years ago when my tax software wouldn't run on it any longer. You know what? I got used to Win 10, and it's just fine. Yeah, took some time to get used to the changes, but I managed. Don't have a PC with hardware new enough to run 11.

Agree that it contains a lot of features I'll probably never use, but that's just the way the world goes. Look at all the minimally useful features that modern vehicles have, not just the nanny stuff but things like cellphone integration and cooled seats. Really? Aren't we trying to DIScourage people from fiddling with their cellphones while driving?

Always a good idea to keep a recent drive image.
Friends of mine tried for years to get me over to Apple but I resisted, mostly because of inertia. Finally I bought an Apple and just love it. Why didn't I do this sooner? Like from day one?

My Windows stuff took forever and with constant updates and silly things became counter-productive to even using it as a computer. And I had Norton Security to block all the garbage and intrusions.
Sigh. PC vs Mac. Orange tractor vs green. R1 vs R4. Cab or open station. etc. Never to be resolved one way or the other.
Go with what you like, but don't try to tell me one is "better" than the other.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,210  
I have yet to find anything that can be done in Windows that cannot be done just as easily in Linux, even if it means using "Wine" (which I don't) to run a Windows app, that is if you are dead set on using an app written for Windows. I have found there are usually several Linux apps that will do anything that Windows can, always faster and using less resources.

But yes the biggest problem is deciding which flavor to go with, I started out with Mandrake. I finally settled on Debian (testing). Linux Mint, Red Hat are also very good selections and I suppose Ubuntu is as well but I am not as sold on it since they have a Windows flavor in the way they control their product.
I have tried to like linux, but have been put off every time by its obtuseness (is that a word?). Maybe it's OK if you're willing to wade thru its geekiness, but it's not for me. Even trying to find an answer on a forum is frustrating, between the condescension shown towards anyone who "doesn't know something this basic" at best giving you a long list of command-line entries without explaining what you're doing.

Why are there so many different flavors of it, all just enough different from one another that they don't run the same way? Even the user interface looks like Windows 95.