You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,221  
We only used dishwasher to store canned goods… house came with it in 1957…

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,222  
Fine China often goes begging.

I remember 50 years ago it breaking up families on who got the good China.
We headed that off at the pass and about two years ago I stopped using the cr@p dishes for everyday use and started on the good china. It's all I use now and I feel good about. Wife is slow to join in but I'm using the good dishes before heirs take them to the thrift store to donate.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,223  
I don't ever remember them giving grocery discounts, I do recall you could cash them in on stuff...luggage, a portable radio, etc.
Grand Union supermarkets had their own trading stamps called plaid stamps.
My Mom shopped at a Farmers Market grocery that took the green stamps and sold larger quantity items, I guess a predecessor to Costco. She Took me with her to carry, I didn't mind cause I always got to pick something special.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,226  
We built a new house with a high end dishwasher 25 years ago and wife has only used it a handful of times. She is very particular and just doesn't like dishwashers. It's in nearly the same condition as installed and she uses it to store mugs. I wondered where they went. 🤷‍♀️

I've learned a lot of housewife-type women don't like dishwashers. A lot of homes have them but don't use them. They must not work as intended.
Our current one works great! Despite my comments about wimpy, it's not. Here's what I wrote about it a while back...

We are religious about running soft water to the dishwasher. The first one got plugged with lime. That's not what killed it, but it seriously lowered the wash quality. So the last 3 have all been spotless inside. No lime or calcium buildup. The new ones are also water savers, so they use less water and have to have smaller jets than the old ones to increase pressure. So another reason to only use soft water. I do have to say that our current Bosch is very quiet. Only when it fills at first can you hear any moans and groans, clicks and clacks. After that it's a nice quiet woosh. You can have a normal conversation in the kitchen with it running. The old ones sounded like a power washer inside a box of broken glass!

It's a lower end Bosh unit.
We usually run it 3-4 times a week. It'll clean glass baking dishes with burnt on crud no problem. We use Finish Powerballs for detergent finish JetDry rinse aid. My wife and I really like it. (y)

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,229  
I sure miss my Corelle but my new bride grew up with Fiesta so we she has been buying Fiesta for 40 years.

I think they are heavy, bulky and noisy, but that's what she wants so that's what we use.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,230  
Remember Fire King Jadeite by Anchor Hocking? It came in bags of flour free or hardware stores sold it. We have a whole green set, even the divider plates. Then (late 80s?-90s) Martha Stewart collected it and the price skyrocketed. Now I don't think it's collectable just like Carnival glass.
My mother has a set of silverware. I don't mean silver plated but solid silver. They're very soft and easily bend as well as tarnish black. I remember my Grandmother polishing them for company, birthdays or holidays.
She even has a silver tea set on a cart.
2024_04_18_22.15.33.jpg