You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,651  
When I was a kid, it seemed that all of the farms had overhead security yard lights that I assume the electric co-ops pushed.

Yup. I grew up with one of those on our farm in Pennsylvania. Hated it. Night is supposed to be dark! During the summer that light would have a very visible huge cloud of bugs swirling around it.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,652  
Yup. I grew up with one of those on our farm in Pennsylvania. Hated it. Night is supposed to be dark! During the summer that light would have a very visible huge cloud of bugs swirling around it.
This place had one when we bought it. Told the electric company I didn't want it (for the same reason as you), and they just took the charge off the bill, but left the light connected. A few months later I put in a new electrical panel and service entrance, and they ran new wires to the house from the transformer bypassing the pole with the light.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,653  
You know you're old when:
You count Your medications and realize you could emulate sixdogs and change your TBN name to sevenpills.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,656  
Nope. Streets are local, roads go somewhere. Hence a "road map" covers a larger region (e.g. state or tri-county) than a "street map" (i.e. city/town).

Now, if you're from eastern PA, you'll probably have one road running thru your town called "Street Road". I'm still not sure what to make of that.
Yeah we have a Street Road (926) here near the PA/DE border.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,657  
You is old when everything exciting you talk about happened decades ago.
"I remember this blonde with..."
Now it's, "The old biddy I met on the cruise and I danced the afternoon away."😘

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,658  
Nope. Streets are local, roads go somewhere. Hence a "road map" covers a larger region (e.g. state or tri-county) than a "street map" (i.e. city/town).
I think of "street" as city/town, "road" as more rural. The road I live on doesn't really go anywhere.

Now, if you're from eastern PA, you'll probably have one road running thru your town called "Street Road". I'm still not sure what to make of that.
Must be a regional thing. Lots of regionalisms with naming of roads...on the west coast they seem to add "the" to any route # ("the 302"). In the midwest they seem to use letters as opposed to numbers for roads. When I was a kid we visited some relatives on eastern Long Island and many of the street/road names were possessive; "Smith's Rd." vs "Smith Rd.".

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #2,659  
I think of "street" as city/town, "road" as more rural. The road I live on doesn't really go anywhere.

Must be a regional thing. Lots of regionalisms with naming of roads...on the west coast they seem to add "the" to any route # ("the 302"). In the midwest they seem to use letters as opposed to numbers for roads. When I was a kid we visited some relatives on eastern Long Island and many of the street/road names were possessive; "Smith's Rd." vs "Smith Rd.".
Could Smith's Road have been the location of an actual blacksmith's shop?