You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,211  
Depends on the levels of security. At my old job, you couldn't do that. You'd have to take ownership of the user's account as an administrator. Home PCs are generally not secured all that great compared to a company that follows a good set of rules to prevent that.
Well, big difference in a commercial environment vs home. I would hope a business would have the machines on a domain controller.
One reason home PCs aren't all that secure is that most users just set up one account, with admin rights.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,212  
You know you are old if you remember green stamps. My mom collected them to claim discounts on groceries.
I don't ever remember them giving grocery discounts, I do recall you could cash them in on stuff...luggage, a portable radio, etc.
Grand Union supermarkets had their own trading stamps called plaid stamps.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,215  
My mother had all that.
Good dishes that never got used but for Christmas, New Years and maybe another time during the year.
Glorified dust collectors.
Huge hutch to.
Got rid of it too.
Kept the silver as it is solid silver.
It hasn't seen the light of day in years.
Even as a kid I'd shake my head at the wastefulness of that. Expensive dishes/table settings that you rarely used. Can't blame today's young people for not wanting any of it.
I guess you are old if you remember sitting down as a family EVERY NIGHT for dinner. Same time, same place.

Not so much anymore it seems.
We were never real big on nightly family dinners. Yeah, sometimes but often as not we'd grab our food and scatter to our "corners".

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,216  
Fine China often goes begging.

I remember 50 years ago it breaking up families on who got the good China.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,217  
We had a rigid seating arrangement at our dining room table.

Dad at the head of the table.
Mom to his right.
Two children to her right.
Me to his left.
Two more children to my left.

Why?
Dad was right handed.
Mom was left handed.
Two to her right were right handed.
I was left handed.
First to my left was left handed.
Last one on my left was ambidextrous.

Lotsa elbow bumping if we sat any other way.
🙃

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,218  
Fine China often goes begging.

I remember 50 years ago it breaking up families on who got the good China.
All I know is that one of my wife's late, great aunts (she had 6-7 of them) told her there were other fish in the sea regarding her dating me....

I have her china.

:ROFLMAO:

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,219  
Our Corelle was what we started with, but that got set aside for Sundays after we accumulated enough promotional stoneware that we got from the grocery store, picking up a few pieces each week with X$$ purchase. Still have it and use it on occasion if we haven't run the dishwasher.

A couple years ago my wife picked up a huge set of Pfaltzgraff stoneware in the Remembrance Pattern at a 2nd hand shop for just $35. Something like 16 complete sets and a bunch of serving bowls, platters, etc. That has become our daily stuff. Looks like this:

IMG_3962.jpeg

We also have 12 settings of Pfaltzgraff Christmas Pattern dishes that we use daily from Thanksgiving through New Years for the past 35 years.

IMG_3963.jpeg

We really like the Pfaltzgraff stuff. It's heavy, dishwasher safe, etc. and seems to hold up for a long time.

And we have 12 settings of pure white stuff with gold trim for fancy dinners. No idea what brand.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,220  
No thanks. We bought a new dishwasher that is wimpy. ;)
We built a new house with a high end dishwasher 25 years ago and wife has only used it a handful of times. She is very particular and just doesn't like dishwashers. It's in nearly the same condition as installed and she uses it to store mugs. I wondered where they went. 🤷‍♀️

I've learned a lot of housewife-type women don't like dishwashers. A lot of homes have them but don't use them. They must not work as intended.

Last edited: