You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,561  
Seems most of these fancy features only work about half of the time. Then, by the time they get the kinks worked out, a new version comes along.
We have a dozen devices between Android and iOS, and what you describe is typical of our experience with Android. iOS, being a more closed system, seems to not suffer nearly as many bugs.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,562  
I went to Catholic schools.

We first had a blessing from the Principal over the intercom before school started.

Then we all stood, put our hands on our heart and said the Pledge Of Allegiance.

I remember we could not advance from 1st to 2nd grade unless we could recite the Pledge on our own.
That's what we had for 8 years. Then I went to Catholic high school and was introduced to the concept of Home Room... what's that???

We had a 1st period class, then went to our "home room" to hear a prayer, pledge and announcements. The usually took about 15 minutes. If you were lucky, your 2nd period class was in the same room, so you had 5 minutes to hang out and talk with friends. If not, off to the races to get to your next class. Seemed like they almost purposely planned your classes to alternate between different ends of the building.

By senior year, we'd figured out which lockers were empty around the school and we'd keep our books and supplies for that end of the building over there. ;)

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,564  
I'm the right age to have my childhood somewhat bracketed by MTV. I remember watching their very first broadcast, and continued watching up until they became more reality TV than music videos, in the mid- to late-1990's. No idea what they've done in the last 25-30 years.

"Kenny wasn't like the other kids!"
Video Killed the Radio Star

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,565  
But, now we have 5 different ways to open the garage door:
- phone
- remote
- button by inside door
- keypad outside door
Do you really need 4 ways to open the garage door?
None of those work if electric is off. Then, only the old fashion way —- manual open.
My door openers have battery backup. And the opener will beep if the battery needs replaced.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,566  
My wife informs me it will be like comparing driving a Yugo vs a 911 LOL

Thing is, my wife knows I have a very bad habbit of never getting rid of something as long as it works, particularly when it comes to autos and clothes LOL As I tell her, that's why we are still married, she still works.

My Mac desktop has been with me for a LONG time. Generally, never had a issue with it. The problem is we last updated the software with OS 10.13.6 when it came out around 2017, and it isn't supported anymore. I'm finding newer "outside software" that my Mac just won't work with anymore.

I complained to my wife that it was a total ripoff only for a way to have Apple make more money, but as she explained to me, getting the service that I did out of my desktop over the years without any issues is not common with most of the computer world out there.

I was still kind of refusing to buy a new computer when my wife bought it for us for my birthday this year (another reason why I keep her around LOL).

As I tell my son, being around him (my son) is starting to remind me of me being my own father when it comes to technology.

My wife does write computer software and understands computers, but when we traveled out to California last year for a longer than normal family vacation, it was our son who set the rental car up via eletronics.

TO MANY FRICKEN ELECTRONIC DOHICKY GADGETS IN TODAYS VEHICLES THAT NEED TO BE SET UP WITH YOUR PHONE! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, uh, no it won't. :ROFLMAO: But for the most part, it will feel very familiar and it will work.

I was in I.T. for around 30years. I had about 500pcs, 50 Macs, and 50 severs to attend to. PCs took the longest time to troubleshoot and repair. Macs were just downright easier to diagnose and troubleshoot. The hardware was not all that different, but the software was night and day.

All I can say is for anyone that has a Mac, about all you need to do is buy a copy of Disk Warrior, run it once in a while, and it'll keep the Mac in tip-top shape. Can't recommend it enough.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,567  
My door openers have battery backup. And the opener will beep if the battery needs replaced.
All of our cars have integrated garage door openers. We only have one hand-held opener, and it sits on top of the fridge right by the back door.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,568  
All of our cars have integrated garage door openers. We only have one hand-held opener, and it sits on top of the fridge right by the back door.
Your integrated opener sounds interesting. Will the signal travel very far? When coming home in good weather, we like to push the remote early enough that the door is all the way up and waiting on us to enter.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,569  
Video Killed the Radio Star
I can't claim to have actually seen their very first aired video, as I had to walk to a friend's house a block away from my own to see cable TV at the time. But I definitely remember going over there to watch an hour or two of MTV together, on the day they first hit the air. We got cable in our own house probably a few months or a year later.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,570  
We have a dozen devices between Android and iOS, and what you describe is typical of our experience with Android. iOS, being a more closed system, seems to not suffer nearly as many bugs.
In case you haven't been following the news...the "Justice" Department is suing Apple because of that "closed" system that makes it so bug-free. If they win Apple will have to open up iOS to other developers and that vaunted Apple dependability will be no more. Leave it to our own government to screw up a good thing......