Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question #1  

Sierraau

Bronze Member
Tractor
2002 Kioti DK50C
I have an 84" woodmaxx snow blower and last fall I noticed the wiring from the control box to the motor that runs the swivel and the deflector on the chute was pretty much worn through by my seat rubbing on it. So I cut the wiring and tried to re-install it with new wires. Well, apparently I got something messed up because it doesn't work and the fuse doesn't pot (so no direct short). Can anyone tell me what the 4 wires from the controller are? I am assuming there are two hots and two grounds? I'm not sure how a switch that has 3 positions works in such a thing. So is if fair for me to think that by moving the switch I can put a meter on those 4 wires and when I find the 2 hot leads, I can then mark them as such and then run them out to the appropriate motor? I want to ask someone before I go out there and blow something up. Thanks. No clue about wiring.

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question #2  
You have two 3-position momentary contact switches with the middle position always providing 12 volts to the 2 functions that are either on or off.
If the wires to the electric motor and linear actuator are still intact you can use 2 sets of alligator clips and a 12-volt lamp to identify each
low voltage wire by function and not harm anything

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question #3  
I believe you change polarity to change direction on those actuators.

Two center posts should be the common posts on the switch. Connect these to the two wires going to the actuator.
Connect positive to two pins diagonal across from each other.
Connect negative or ground to other two pins diagonal across from each other.

Maybe do a search on wiring a 12 VDC linear actuator.

Last edited:
   / Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question
You have two 3-position momentary contact switches with the middle position always providing 12 volts to the 2 functions that are either on or off.
If the wires to the electric motor and linear actuator are still intact you can use 2 sets of alligator clips and a 12-volt lamp to identify each
low voltage wire by function and not harm anything

So explain to me as if you were talking to your Golden Retrevier what I need to do to find which wires end up with which wires. We've got another 4' of snow coming in and my FEL won't be able to handle it without the snowblower.

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question #5  
I am assuming TWO switches.

Lets call the 1st switch S for swivel.
Lets call the 2nd switch D for deflector

With Both Switches off.....Verify NO voltage to any of the 4 wires.

Flip switch S one direction. ONE of the wires should have 12v
Flip switch S the other direction. Another one of the wires should have 12v.

Those two wires should go to the swivel.

That would leave the remaining two to go to the Chute. But can follow above to verify.

Attached is a typical schematic of how a switch for an actuation reverses polarity to reverse the direction.
actuation switch.JPG

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question #6  
Here's a picture of a DPDT switch, Double Pole Double throw and how it's wired.

1672703378080.png

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question
Thanks for the visual, so some of the wire connectors needed repair, so now I have power out to the wires going to both motors (I am assuming the red wire from each motor is the hot and the black is the ground). Hooked both up and although there is power to both sets of wires going to both motors, nothing happens when I hit the switch. It's getting dark, so I guess I will put my plow back on and hope I can keep up with the snow. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question #8  
Those motors should be reversible, one lead needs to go the positive +, and the other to the negative-.
If you have a jump pack or other 12 Volt source you can place one lead on the positive and the other on the negative and the motor will activate in one direction, then you can reverse those leads and the motor will turn the other direction.

On your original installation I am assuming that you had 2 separate switches, one for up and down, and another for left or right.

Neither wire should go to frame ground and none of the wires on your switches should go to ground. I would have expected two wires in your original wiring with one to each battery terminal.

The switch will reverse the polarity of the voltage going to the motor.

Again this is assuming that you have 3 position switches, spring centered to the middle "off" position with one direction of activation providing one direction of travel while held in that position, releasing it allows the switch to return to center and off, moving the switch to the other position should drive the operation in the other direction and again releasing it allows it to return to center "off".

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question #9  
Thanks for the visual, so some of the wire connectors needed repair, so now I have power out to the wires going to both motors (I am assuming the red wire from each motor is the hot and the black is the ground). Hooked both up and although there is power to both sets of wires going to both motors, nothing happens when I hit the switch. It's getting dark, so I guess I will put my plow back on and hope I can keep up with the snow. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
It seems you are not understanding what reversing polarity means.

If there are two red, and two black.....sounds like you simply have a red from switch one, and black from switch two going to one actuator, and vice versa for the other.

Simply swap ONE color of the wires. Like swap the blacks but leave the reds alone and see what it does.

/ Woodmaxx Snowblower Wiring question #10  
Think of it like power windows on the car. Motor turns one way to raise glass, the other way to lower glass. Window motor is not grounded, power is reversed by switch depending on switch position. Center is off, down reversed polarity compared to up.