Won't stay in float!

/ Won't stay in float!
Re: Won\'t stay in float!

I think the warranty is only for 1 year, and I've had my PT for a little longer than that. I'll check with them and see.

/ Won't stay in float! #12  

Bummer /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Did they give any indication as to how much it would cost to repair the valve VS a new valve?

I'm sure, either way, you will have to remove the valve and ship it to them. Did they mention if this will cause air in the system and will the air will have to be purged similar to when you do a hydraulic filter change?

/ Won't stay in float! #13  

Mossroad: you wrote:
<font color=red>Did they mention if this will cause air in the system and will the air will have to be purged similar to when you do a hydraulic filter change? </font color=red>
Since I'm lining up to do my 50 hour this weekend, I've read some of the past discussions, and again talked to Terry Estep, at PT. It is my understanding that air is only a problem on the intake side, where it can get to the pump. On the output side, the air would be pushed through the valve and to the reservoir, so wouldn't be a problem. (That's assuming, of course, that the hose from pump couldn't let air back into the pump. I haven't heard that it could, but I'd be inclined to elevate it and/or cap it to keep it full of oil while the valve is removed, just in case.)

/ Won't stay in float! #14  

Eric:
I hope your 425 is still in warranty. If the detent has failed, it might be something as simple as a broken spring, but I don't know enough about the internals to guess at it. Whether or not it's in warranty, you may want to talk to PT about getting the valve manufacturer to look at it, although certainly PT will want to know what the problem is for future reference.
My recollection is that there was a post some time ago that on rough terrain a 400 series machine sometimes bounced out of float. (PTRich?) Then, Reds reported downpressure on the deck lifting an uphill wheel. The cure suggested was to take it out of float and lift the deck slightly, essentially manual draft control. It sounds as if we have three similar reports. Power Trac is certainly aware of those reports, so it may be worth more calls to ensure that they are working to determine whether it is a general problem or a run of valves, (or, of course, whether the three reports we know about are really caused by the same thing.)

/ Won't stay in float! #15  

I have also had my tractor pt422 jump out of float on occasion while mowing .

/ Won't stay in float!

MR, Don wasn't sure if they could repair it, so no cost figure was given. My main problem, right now, is that I have too many chores for my PT to tear it apart. Everything else works ok, as does the float if I manually hold it in. I'll let you know what happens.

/ Won't stay in float!

Charlie,

I'm confident PT will do right by me. My problem is that when you put the joystick in float, the plunger on the valve goes down and then pops back up just a little. If I push the joystick all the way forward, which compresses the plunger fully, the float works fine. I'll be keeping in touch with PT and we'll see what happens.

/ Won't stay in float! #18  

Charlie said: It is my understanding that air is only a problem on the intake side, where it can get to the pump. On the output side, the air would be pushed through the valve and to the reservoir, so wouldn't be a problem. (Don't know how to make the font a different color)

The PTO/lift/tilt pump does not seem to call for an air purge, or have provisions to purge air like the variable volume pump. Correct me if I am wrong.

On the variable volume pump, if a hydraulic hose on the discharge side is replaced, then as I understand, no air purge is necessary. The oil return from the wheel motors goes back to the variable volume pump (not the reservoir), so does the air bubble I assume. Not quite sure why this is not a problem. (The discharge of the variable volume pump also goes to the oil cooler and then back to the reservoir, maybe it gets purged via this path?). Just to be safe, should we also go through the purge procedure for items on the discharge side of the variable volume pump?

Duane

/ Won't stay in float! #19  

Duane: Your note
<font color=red>The PTO/lift/tilt pump does not seem to call for an air purge, or have provisions to purge air like the variable volume pump. Correct me if I am wrong.</font color=red>
I think you're right. I should have hauled out the diagram and thought it through before responding. My only thought was, as you noted, they aren't concerned about anything on the discharge side of the variable volume pump, either, just its intake..

/ Won't stay in float! #20  

My 422 also failed to stay in float. I adjusted the linkage, which has limited access, and now it works fine. I would double check the linkage.
andrew