Won't stay in float!

/ Won't stay in float! #1  

Carpenter

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425, Kubota L39 TLB
Won\'t stay in float!

I went out to mow this morning and my PT425 wouldn't stay in float position. The stick would stay partially forward, but the loader arms would start to slowly raise the front end. The only way to keep it in float was to hold the stick "all the way" forward with my right hand while I was mowing. Anyone else had this problem? Is there an adjustment for the float mode? Help, my arm is tired.

/ Won't stay in float! #2  
Re: Won\'t stay in float!

That is not correct. See if there is something up under the stick that is preventing the stick from going into the detent position for float. Look for wires, wood chips, etc. A call to Power Trac might be needed if there is nothing obvious. Let us know what you find out.

/ Won't stay in float!

MR, I know; it worked fine before. I let a friend use my PT, the other day. I wonder what might have happened. I'm going to call PT this afternoon; I'll let everyone know what they have to say. Thanks for the response.

/ Won't stay in float!

I talked to Don at PT; he said it's either the linkage or the detent on the control valve. I can probably take care of the linkage myself, but he said if the valve has to be replaced it costs $500!!! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I sure hope it's the linkage! I'll let you know tomorrow.

/ Won't stay in float! #5  

Man, there's gotta be something jamming it. Maybe a wood shaving or rock chip got in around the ball where the joystick mounts on the dashboard. Hopefully just a missing pin or bolt. Wishing you the best of luck!

/ Won't stay in float!

I finally got around to checking out the joystick linkage. It looks like the problem is the throw is not quite long enough. There's a nut and a threaded shaft, so there is adjustment. It started pouring rain this afternoon, so I didn't get a chance to try a fix. I'll post the results later.

The nagging question is; how could it work all this time and then suddenly stop? I don't see any way it could loosen on it's own. I did loan it out...hmmm...gremlins...hmmm...bad charma...hmmm...Murphy's Law...hmmm...sabotage by a jealous neighbor...hmm...or maybe just another one of life's unsolved mysteries.

/ Won't stay in float! #7  

Where is the threaded rod and nut located? Under the joystick and above the valve?

/ Won't stay in float!

Yes it connects the joystick to the plunger on top of the valve. I think if I lengthen it a little it will solve my problem. The joystick stays in the forward position, but dosen't quite engage the float. I'm still not sure how easy/difficult it will be to make the adjustment.

/ Won't stay in float!

Well, unfortunately the linkage adjustment didn't work. I guess the detent in the valve is broken. I mowed today with a bungee holding the joystick in float; crude but effective. I think I'll explore other possibilities before buying a new valve. Don said they might be able to repair it, but I think I'll wait until fall ; after summer projects and before the snow flies.

/ Won't stay in float! #10  

Isn't that covered under power trac's warranty?